Shocks and Struts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Shocks and Struts

bngaddict
06-08-2004, 09:14 AM
Ok, this may sound like a stupid questions, but how do you know whwen you need new shocks or struts? What do you look for?

juanvan
06-10-2004, 07:16 AM
Floating, hit a bump goes
up then down
up then down
up then down
and slowly levels out

a goos start that the shocks are going

springs ~ no clue if they are bent never realy heard of them going bad persay rust maybe

2002AmSE
06-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Umm, I think what you are supposed to do is push down on the car around where one of the struts/shocks is and let go and if it bounces up and down instead of just going back up then they are worn out. Also with the struts sometimes they will get squeaky over bumps and things and then you will need to replace them(happened to me on my left front)

2002AmSE
06-10-2004, 10:06 AM
...yeah if you are riding down the road and your car feels like it keeps bouncing from a bump then you know you've got worn suspension

tammikm
06-10-2004, 02:15 PM
is it normal for our cars to make a noise from the struts while going over bumps? i can hear the strut working like psshhh pshhh...

BiHStL
06-10-2004, 02:17 PM
i hear the same pshh pshhh noise every once in a while

tammikm
06-10-2004, 02:19 PM
mine is not once in a while its over every bump, is it normal, i think it must be.

2002AmSE
06-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Mine was doing this thunking sound, the psssh is normal im sure, unless its unusually loud

HotLikeFire
06-10-2004, 08:22 PM
mine thunks as well. Im thinking its not the supsension, but the tires and the balance. could I be right?

DanIAm
06-10-2004, 08:27 PM
I don't know if my question has anything to do w/ this topic, but I thought I'd give it a shot. The front end of my car makes this loud pop when I'm backing up and turning the wheel. It doesn't do it any other time, and it's just one loud "pop." I certainly don't think it's normal. Anyone have any ideas?

MJSilver00
06-10-2004, 09:24 PM
I hear the pshhh sound once in a while, but the biggest complaint I have is that my car doesnt have that tight ride it did when it was new. It feels like bumps and rough surfaces are rattling the shyte outta my car. Could that be the shocks/struts even if the car doesnt bounce if you push down on it?

action
06-11-2004, 06:27 AM
Sometimes they leak out too. Sure sign of a failed strut is when its covered in oil.

eric99gt
06-11-2004, 06:51 AM
clunk probably could be a strut bearing plate. psssh is normal.

Hexx
06-11-2004, 06:54 AM
The POP you are experiencing is probably the same popping noise I get when turning...mostly at slow speeds. It is the springs. They need to be greased or you need new strut mounts (and the base mount...the part the spring sets on...there is a rubber like piece in there that may be really worn out).

I haven't gotten around to greasing mine yet.

In regards to checking if struts are bad or not. Push on that corner of the car real good. If it bounces once you are fine (up and then down and back to position). If more than that, you need new struts.