Estimate seem too cheap? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Estimate seem too cheap?

rizer
06-08-2004, 04:21 PM
I went to a local exhaust shop here to see how much they'd want to run the pipe and install the tips if i provide the muffler and tips. They looked at it, asked some technical questions about what kind of muffler it was (He mentioned camaro style few times) and how the inlets/outlets were on the muffler. I told him i wasnt sure cause im not sure on the muffler yet. So long story short, they said $100 dollars out the door. From reading around here, does that seem a little low and maybe they dont know whats in store?

While im here, the stock pipes are 2" right? I was thinking im just gonna run 2 1/4 pipe from cat back being i wont be doing many engine mods (sides CAI). Also, when searching for a muffler, is there a certain style thats best/easy for our cars to install being they go in sideways (muffler setup). Im not asking what kind/brand of muffler, theres countless threads bout muffler sound, etc. Pretty much asking what not to get when looking at details.

Sorry, Im a truck guy and ive only messed with exhaust on trucks (throw on and go)

BLACK99GT/ROB
06-08-2004, 06:22 PM
That sounds cheap,if they gave you the quote I think they will have to honor it no matter what.The stock piping is 2 1/4.I have a Flowmaster 80 series muffler on my car.

BiHStL
06-08-2004, 06:37 PM
make sure they offer you some kind of warranty on their work then have them do it. The price sounds cheap, but man if its true, it sound great

rizer
06-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Glad i made them print out that price on paper then :)

So will any single in dual out muffler work? As long as one side has in & out and other out?

Craig99SE2
06-08-2004, 07:04 PM
$100 sounds right. I paid $60 to have my SLP installed. Add in $40 for tubing and hangars ... that's about right. Any more than that and I think it is a rip-off! The Grand Am is a piece-of-cake to install an exhaust on.

BLACK99GT/ROB
06-08-2004, 07:06 PM
So will any single in dual out muffler work? As long as one side has in & out and other out?Yes

Kaytor
06-16-2004, 02:32 PM
I went to Midas for an estimate today and he told me $250-$300 for the install and the pipes because it was gonna be difficult (Flowmaster 80 w/ custom tips). Has anyone else had a problem with this? They said they've never seen an exaust like this and while it could be done it will be difficult to get everything to line up.

Carmaniac
06-16-2004, 02:37 PM
go somewhere else. where in ct are u?

rizer
06-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Midas is a joke. Always has always will be. Look under the car and tell me how that looks hard. Straight out, bends up and over then hits muffler.

They once told me it would cost round 300 to fix a exhaust leak, i said screw it and went to maxi muffler. They fixed it for free, a quick weld.

Kaytor
06-16-2004, 03:33 PM
I'm in Southington (central CT). They told me that it wouldnt be worth it and that I probably wouldnt get much of a sound change anyway. I've read otherwise by many people in this forum.

sweet98gagt
06-16-2004, 05:14 PM
midas = scam artists

what they do is take the part u want and take their cost and mulitply it by 3. that is supposed to cover the part and labor...total rip

AznGA
06-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Midas charged me $100 for SLP install.

GTLUVA
06-16-2004, 10:40 PM
I paid my gm dealer $57 for labor to install my silverstar headlights and fogs and turn signals. I know I'm crazy for spending that much but I wanted them aimed right and made sure they were installed correctly. :) I'm going to the gm dealer and I get a new passenger side fog light because their is moisture in it at least I get that install for free :)

magyver
06-16-2004, 11:48 PM
dude, IMO, you dont need cat back piping, i guarantee you'll never notice the differnece in the pipe size, sound or performance... but anyways, yeah dude, i put on my 80 series (in/out on one side and an out on the other) and it took me 3 90's angles from autozone $4 a piece and a saw-zall... and in an half hour, it was done and on... GA's are hella easy w/ the 80 series...

anyway, it sounds pretty good, id go w/ it.. get the 80 series

an kator, it makes a a$$ton better sound, that guy was on crack... anytime you take off a stock muffer its gonna be louder/better, sounds like that guy didnt want to work, lazy a$$