Belt Replacement - Am I Mising Something? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Belt Replacement - Am I Mising Something?

gasev6ho
06-09-2004, 03:45 AM
Hello - I tried the search to no avail. I bought a Gatorback belt yesterday, and tried to install it. My question is this (and yes, I have changed belts on other cars I've owned).......

How do you get the belt out? I know how to remlove it, but the motor mount (I think that's what it is) prevents me from getting the old belt out, and the new belt in. It kinda traps the belt and I saw no way to slip the belt out around it anywhere. Do you need to remove this??!!

Thanks for any information you may be able to provide.

Chris
:stupid:

kubiache
06-09-2004, 04:24 AM
Yep, the motor mount is in the way. Put a jack with a piece of plywood under the oil pan, high enough so it's just touching. Loosen the motor mount. Once it's detached, raise the engine as much as you need to to get it out. With the motor mount out, the oil pan will only be supporting the weight of the engine, not the whole car, so don't worry about denting it.

71Z28RS
06-09-2004, 06:13 AM
I don't know if yours is the same, but I had to unbolt part of the alternator bracket on our 96 GA too. Definitely a longer than usual job. Good luck!

Irate
06-09-2004, 06:38 AM
just be sure when you go to re-install the motor mount, install the bolts into the aluminum block first, then install the mount on the car side. You'll run less of a risk of stripping the threads this way.

action
06-09-2004, 08:30 AM
You can actually do this by removing one bolt at a time and slipping the belt betwen the bolts while you put the 1st in and take the 2nd out. Really not worth the trouble though if you have a jack and a block of wood!!!!!

gasev6ho
06-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Thank you for the responses. I may give this a try on Saturday. What a STUPID setup!!!!!

Thanks again!
Chris

pherdog
06-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Here's a link that might help --> http://www.grandamgt.com/belt.html

gasev6ho
06-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the link, I shall try this Next week.

Chris