front rotors [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : front rotors

tammikm
06-09-2004, 11:02 AM
I just had my front rotors replaced and the pads are not using the whole rotor surface, there is about a 1/4 inch at the bottom of the face of the rotor and about a 1/2 inch at the top of the rotor that is not being used while braking, is this normal? I looked at other GT's and the whole rotor is shiny which means its all being used while I have gaps at the top and a little at the bottom.??? anyone else? wrong size pad? wtf? thanks as you can see in the photo where the pad does not touch the rotor is this normal for our cars, I dont think so...??

thanks

BiHStL
06-09-2004, 12:41 PM
just wondering, but did you replace your brake pads too, or just keep the stock ones and get new rotors?

tammikm
06-09-2004, 01:33 PM
garage replaced both rotors and pads, not a GM dealer though so I'm thinking they didnt put the correct pads on.

VaGT
06-10-2004, 05:20 AM
How long ago were they changed? Is it possible that the surface of the pads were uneven, and need to wear on the edges before they will contact there? Cheap pads?

brsexton
06-10-2004, 05:49 AM
That pic of your brake does not look right. It may just be the pic, but that brake pad don't even look like the ones our cars use. Plus our brakes use much more of the rotor.

tammikm
06-10-2004, 06:15 AM
they were changed the same day as the pictire was taken, 2 days ago. Ya im looking into it, I am having them put ac delco pads on them next week, twice the price for the pads whoa, $111.00 CAD for front pads.

thanks

brsexton
06-10-2004, 07:33 AM
Are you going to get your money back for the brake pads that are on there now? I hope the ac delco pads work out for you. They are quite pads, but they just don't last long enough. I also heard that the delco pads may contirbute to the rotor warp problems with our cars...Who knows. Good luck though.

tammikm
06-10-2004, 07:35 AM
Yes they are only having me pay the difference on the delco pads, what type of pads do you guys use?

brsexton
06-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Well about a month ago I replaced mine with Raybestos rotors and Raybestos Quite Stop Ceramic pads. They stop great with no dust, its just that I am not impressed by the slight grinding noise they make sometimes as I come to a stop. I really would hate to have to get AC Delco pads again because they only lasted me 16k. But I am really, really anal about brake noises.