What the heck is this?!?! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this?!?!

AaronGAGT
06-09-2004, 10:15 AM
I blew a fuse or i have a short somewhere... but while lookin at the fuse panel thats under the hood. Maxi-fuse 6 is labeled A.I.R. Same with the owner's manual. I dont have a fuse there... so wtf is it?

Kdawg207
06-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Air Intake Regulator.....just a guess

preed4962
06-10-2004, 06:55 AM
A. I. R. - Air Injection Reaction = Air Pump for the converter. Injects oxygen into the converter to help the catylitic reaction in the converter.

preed4962
06-10-2004, 07:23 AM
More Information:

Improved emissions – The 3400 V6 meets strict exhaust and evaporative emission regulations for all 50 states. For 2000, it has been enhanced with the addition of the Air Injection Reaction (AIR) system for California and the Northeast states. AIR allows the engine to meet these states' demanding low emission vehicle (LEV) standards. It has also been outfitted with intake manifold flow and distribution improvements, new Multec 2 fuel injectors and a new direct-mount, reverse-flow EGR valve. The Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo also feature onboard vapor recovery.

A Better definition of AIR - AIR was used to lower exhaust emissions by injecting warm, fresh air into the combustion process to create an exothermic reaction. The reaction warmed the catalytic converter more quickly, speeding catalyst light off and reducing emissions during cold starts—a critical phase in certification tests.

NjccBflo
06-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Yea AIR is a mofo... now if you search in the F-body forums, one of the first mod (for weight too obviously) is to pull the a.i.r. system. pump, lines, all of it. The only catch is that you have to replace the cat with an aftermarket (which we all do anyhow) and plug the lines from the exhaust manifold (or get headers)... do any of the Guru's think we could apply the same theory?? obviously, the older f-bodies arent as digitech as our GA's... but i can hope, right?

Dr_Kyle
06-11-2004, 11:32 AM
I believe the 3400 has the AIR port on the heads themselves, so headers wouldn't solve that problem. You could still plug the holes though.

AaronGAGT
06-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Well Im missing the "Air Pump" fuse and the "A.I.R" fuse. Been like that since the day I got it. So its just an emissions thing eh? Good thing I live in MI i guess and dont have to worry about those inspections or whatever some of you people gotta go thru.