Power steering fluid [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power steering fluid

AaronGAGT
06-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Im kinda low and I gotta go buy some. Owner's manual saya GM Power Steering Fluid... but I'm guessing that costs about $293478. Would I be safe just using some stuff they sell at the auto parts store??

Rba007
06-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Ive been running valvoline synthetic steering fluid for two years now. No problems.

Hexx
06-09-2004, 11:38 AM
It's DOT 3 **** right? That's what I used in my truck for brakes and steering. I think any DOT 3 would be fine.

AznGA
06-09-2004, 11:41 AM
I went to a GM dealer and bought a bottle. It was cheap.

AaronGAGT
06-09-2004, 04:20 PM
It's DOT 3 **** right? That's what I used in my truck for brakes and steering. I think any DOT 3 would be fine.

Hmm... whats DOT 3 and how do i find out??

AaronGAGT
06-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Ive been running valvoline synthetic steering fluid for two years now. No problems.

You think it'd be ok to mix that to my existing blend of fluid??

Hexx
06-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Let me correct myself. Don't use DOT 3 in the GA.

I just talked to my bro and he said the reason why I COULD use DOT 3 in my truck I used to have is because it had metal lines...he uses DOT3 in his camaro also and it is fine. I am not sure if we (Grand Ams) have metal or rubber hoses.

In the drivers manual I have for my 00GAGT, on page 7-21 it says to use GM Power Steering Fluid (GM Part No. 1052884 - 1 pint, 1050017 - 1 quart, or equivalent)

So listen to this post and not my other ones.

--Hexx

AaronGAGT
06-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Damn! So I cant opt for the Valvoline Max Life: Power Steering Fluid with Stop Leak formulated for higher mileage vehicles? lol cuz thats what i just bought.

Hey Yun... how much was the dealer stuff?

ALPINE99GAGT
06-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Damn! So I cant opt for the Valvoline Max Life: Power Steering Fluid with Stop Leak formulated for higher mileage vehicles? lol cuz thats what i just bought.

That will work just fine ive been useing the regular valvoline synthetic with stop leak for 5 years in my GA with no problems. It even solved the problem of the high pitched whine from the steering pump it went away the second day and never came back. your best bet is to suck out as much of the old as possible and refill with new.

AznGA
06-09-2004, 10:54 PM

Whoa, how do you know my name?
I don't really remember. I think it was like $7.
:)

SikMindz
06-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Whoa, how do you know my name?
I don't really remember. I think it was like $7.

Oh c'mon. You know all Asian people look alike and are related.

LoL

Anyways, dAaronwannabe I mixed the Valvoline stuff I bought with whatever was in there and haven't run into any problems.

VaGT
06-10-2004, 04:22 AM
I have a small leak somewhere in the power steering fluid system.... I bought a quart from the dealer a year or so ago. It was about $5.50 a quart.

Hexx
06-10-2004, 04:22 AM

LoL

Anyways, dAaronwannabe I mixed the Valvoline stuff I bought with whatever was in there and haven't run into any problems.

lol

AznGA
06-10-2004, 07:45 AM

LoL

Ya that's why we call eath other "brotha".

AaronGAGT
06-10-2004, 11:07 AM
lol Thanks for the help guys. Problem solved. And no. We dont all look alike. I look nothing like Sik - thank God.

SikMindz
06-10-2004, 11:45 AM
lol Thanks for the help guys. Problem solved. And no. We dont all look alike. I look nothing like Sik - thank God.

You're right...you ugly sonnuva... lol