Customer Service Help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Customer Service Help

RiChWhA
06-10-2004, 08:04 AM
I have a few questions. I read after searching that some people called GM customer service after their LIM Gasket leak and they received a discount. I guess what I want to know is what the number is, what to ask first in order to get them to lower the price (how to start the conversation), and do i call before i find out from the dealer what it is or after? Need answers asap.
Thanks Guys!

RiChWhA
06-10-2004, 01:02 PM
well, i am in the process of talking to both the dealership and the customer service about the leak. i have the LIM leak and a bad water pump. They said it will be $750 for the gasket fix, does that sound a little high? I think i can do the water pump myself. If anyone is around the Iowa area and wants (or will) help me out that would be great! :not_worth

AznGA
06-10-2004, 01:36 PM
750 for just gasket fix?
That seems high.

Black Z28
06-10-2004, 01:39 PM
it won't be much in parts, but its a lot of work to take off that lower intake manifold. almost all of your price will be labor. you might want to take it to a reputable service shop instead of a dealership.

AznGA
06-10-2004, 01:45 PM
I called 2 Pontiac dealers in my area and I got quoted for $820, and $650. So make sure you shop around.

Would you trust local shops for this kinda thing?

RiChWhA
06-10-2004, 02:02 PM
i just called a shop that i trust really well, and the first thing he said after hearing the problem was "we've fixed that enough times i know the price off the top of my head." well, he told me it would cost $650 to fix so if Pontiac Customer Service doesn't come through then my car is never going back to the dealership.

AznGA
06-10-2004, 02:07 PM
You can call the GM customer service and they might give you discount? I never knew anything about that. We might need some of GAGT.com members to call that number so they know LOTS of people are having problems.

tjc13
06-10-2004, 04:10 PM
GM knows that there are lots of problems. That is why the gasket has been redesigned and they have been known to split the cost of the repair bill. I was fortunate enough to get GM to split the bill 75/25 and I paid the 25%.

AznGA
06-10-2004, 10:18 PM
GM knows that there are lots of problems. That is why the gasket has been redesigned and they have been known to split the cost of the repair bill. I was fortunate enough to get GM to split the bill 75/25 and I paid the 25%.
How did you get that?

MJSilver00
06-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Yea really... Ive never heard of them doing that. I replaced mine myself over a weekend. Took about 8 hours total (never did it before) and was about $100 in parts. Quotes Ive seen for this though have been consistantly about $650-$700.

RiChWhA
06-11-2004, 12:17 PM
well, i went through customer service and they decided to pay for every penny of the gasket replacement. the dealership was pretty rude, but the factory made up for the service and i am more than happy :woowoo

AznGA
06-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Hey can you exactly tell me what you told them over the phone??

RiChWhA
06-12-2004, 04:50 PM
i started by asking if there was a recall on the gasket (just to start conversation), then the person told me no, the gasket was not under recall. next, i said "i think Pontiac knows this is a problem on Grand Ams since almost everyone has this problem. I know that you have given discounts to people for this job because of the gasket problem and i was wondering what i would need to do to attempt to get one. i am a part of a forum that complains about this problem everyday, and it hurts your customer loyalty, which is bad at a time in which you have all these new cars that you are coming out with." He said that he would call the dealership on the status of my car, so after going on hold he told me the shop director or someone was not there, and he set up a conference call for the shop guy, customer service guy, and i to talk about my car. around 20 mins later the shop manager called and got mad at me telling me they wont give me a discount because i am too far out of warranty, and that the only way i would get a discount is by getting customer service to approve one. i then told him that it doesnt matter how far out of warranty my car is because this isn't normal wear and tear on a car, its an assembly problem. later that night the owner of the dealership called me and said he had not heard from factory on what to do, but he would keep me posted. the next day, around noon, the dealership calls to tell me the factory has decided to pay for the entire gasket replacement, meaning the new gaskets and labor, and that they had already started fixing it. that was how it happened. kind of a long post but its something that everyone should try. feel free to call with any questions and good luck.

AznGA
06-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Wow, thanx for great information. It's worth a try, if I can save $700.