Fried housing to headlight... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fried housing to headlight...

Mystery8
06-10-2004, 04:55 PM
The front left headlight housing is fried. (where the bulb itself plugs into the wiring harness)

The light itself is very dim but does work. (i could take a picture if it needed.)

I'm not sure the damage done, and wondered if i would have to replace the whole wiring harness that plugs into the bulb as well. Any ideas of a price estimate? I'll probably take it in to get fixed, i'm not the best with electrical.

Also, and most importantly; Would it be safe to drive without a headlight in there? (i'm already aware it will throw a SES code. No worries there.) I just bought new bulbs as replacement, and don't want to shell out more money to fix another bulb.

tenspeed
06-10-2004, 05:27 PM
You should be able to get a new socket and splice the wires from the harness to it. What wattage bulbs were you using to burn the thing up?

Mystery8
06-10-2004, 05:33 PM
You should be able to get a new socket and splice the wires from the harness to it. What wattage bulbs were you using to burn the thing up?

I'm not sure if i'm comfortable with splicing. lol

The bulbs i used, and would highly suggest staying the hell away from - "Plasma glow. 100/80 w "

10 year warranty enticed me, but the bulbs are ****. Faded after barely a month of use, hardly lit up the road in front of me to begin with.