Problem w/ the automatic door lock [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Problem w/ the automatic door lock

DanIAm
06-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Just wondering if anyone could help w/ this problem I've noticed. When I first bought my 2000 GAGT, I noticed the doors automatically locked when I put the car in drive. I had some rotor work done, and when I got the car back, I noticed the doors no longer locked automatically...the buttons still lock the car, and everything else works normally, but when I put the car in drive, the doors no longer lock automatically. Is there some sorta fuse or anything else I should look at before they "diagnose" my car, and charge me $75.00 /hr( :vomit: )???

Any info would be greatly appreciated

02andahalfgt
06-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Get out your owners manual. The locks are programable, you'll have to go through the steps to make them lock when you shift into drive/reach 5mph.

DanIAm
06-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Unfortunately, I didn't receive an owners manual w/ my car...Is there a website out there that could give me directions? I know how to program the remote entry, but don't have a clue on how to program the locks.

aaron_otte
06-10-2004, 09:28 PM
I could go scan the page in the owners manual if you like or just type the whole thing out

MJSilver00
06-10-2004, 09:32 PM
-get in the car and close all the doors.
-turn the ignition key to on.
-press and hold the lock button ond the door (to the lock side) for 10 seconds and release when you hear the chime.
-every time you push the button after that you will hear a number of chimes. There are 4 lock modes, and you will get a corresponding number of chimes for which ever mode you just put the car in.
-you want mode number one, so just push the button, count the chimes, and repeat this until the car just responds with one chime. (then just take the key out)

theres nothing these guys should have been doing to the car that would have disabled this feature. even disconnecting the battery temporarily wouldnt have changed it.

Modes:

1,) all doors automatically lock when the car is shifted out of park, doors will remain locked until shifted back into park and key turned to off. (can still unlock manually)

2.) all doors lock automatically when car is shifted out of park, but only the drivers door unlocks automatically when shifted back to park and key turned to off. (only available with remote keyless entry feature)

3.) all doors lock automatically when car shifted out of park, but no automatic unlock.

4.) no auto locking

MJSilver00
06-10-2004, 09:40 PM
there is also a delayed locking feature (which i dont think can be turned off but you wouldnt want to anyway). The way this works is when you park the car and open your door, if you hit the lock button you will hear 3 chimes. this means that the car will automatically lock the doors 7 seconds after the last open door on the car is closed. It will not lock the doors however if the keys are in the ignition. To bypass this you can just hit the button twice with the door open and they will lock, but the car will beep and flash the lights when the delayed lock feature activates anyway, so youll know the doors are locked.

DanIAm
06-10-2004, 09:41 PM
You guys are great! Thanks for the EXTREMELY fast response and help...definitely saved me a TON of money.

MJSilver00
06-10-2004, 09:43 PM
haha, you have no idea how much time and money Ive saved over the 3 years Ive had my car by coming here.

DanIAm
06-10-2004, 09:57 PM
It worked! thanks again for your help. I've got another silly question about programming. While I was out there programming the autolock (at 1am in the morning...lol), I couldn't remember if you said hold it in lock, or hold it on unlock...so the first time, I held the unlock, and the car's horn blew...I don't know what programming mode it was, but I noticed when I locked the car back (w/ the remote) the horn didn't blow and it usually does. I did hear the doors lock though. Any clues what program mode it was in?

MJSilver00
06-10-2004, 10:17 PM
you turned off the horn chirp feature. (the lock side of the button on the door is used to program the automatic locking features and the unlock side is used to program the horn chirp). go back out there and turn the key to on, then hold the unlock side of the button for 10 seconds and youll hear the horn chirp. This will turn the feature back on.

DanIAm
06-10-2004, 10:26 PM
UGH...hehe...I should purchase an owners manual, I really do appreciate the help. I love my car, but seems like I'm constantly working on it. Had to replace the IAC Motor last week, cost over $200.0o, 3 prior, I had just had the engine tune-up w/ new spark plugs, serpantine belt, the works...this car is great, but it's really making a dent in my bank account..hehe.

MJSilver00
06-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Whatever youre not fixing yourself, learn to. Its the 200% parts markup and the doubled up labor hours that make maintenance so expensive. Of course there are always things you run into that you just dont have the tools or experience for, but if you search here first youll find that you can fix a lot more than you think by your self at 1/4 the cost or less.

DanIAm
06-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I'd definitely saved a ton tonight, just by asking questions on here. The local dealer was going to charge me $75.00 /hr to figure that one out for me. They must think I don't know too much about cars. I had a dealer try to charge me $200.00 for their spark plug wires they just happen to have "in stock" while I was getting a tune up on a 98 ford ranger., I walked down the street to advance and bought them for $12.00. They refused to install them, saying they weren't "OEM recommendations." I must look like a sucker to alot of these dealers.