Gaaah. Clearing codes sucks [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gaaah. Clearing codes sucks

Hexx
06-11-2004, 05:54 AM
Hey all,
As some of you know I put Eibach springs in my car about a month ago...maybe a little longer ago. Anyways, I accidentally unplugged the ABS sensor from the rear hub and started the car without knowing it. I got SES, Trac Off, and ABS on the dash. Damn!

So, I checked my work and found that it was unplugged, plugged it back in yadda yadda yadda. Tried to clear it myself by unplugging the battery....didn't work.

Finally I went to Advanced Auto Parts today and there are no trouble codes he says. He tried to clear it but couldn't. He also said I would have to go GM for them to clear the code, since it has to do with ABS and such.

Soooo....I go to GM, they want to charge $40 just to clear the codes. Is that high price or what? Should I find another GM dealer or do they all charge the same?

Is there a way I can get it cleared for AT LEAST half the price or for free?

brim
06-11-2004, 09:36 AM
tried autozone too?

i know they can clear most SES codes

AaronGAGT
06-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Why would unplugging the ABS throw a SES light? I would think more SVS

Hexx
06-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Why would unplugging the ABS throw a SES light? I would think more SVS

I dunno...it gives me the Service Engine Soon, ABS, and Trac Off light. No touble codes. Closets Autozone is, well....not close....ah 1hr plus away.

Dan00GPGT
06-11-2004, 10:40 AM
I'd be willing to bet it's not just that sensor that caused it. The people at Autozone aren't exactly the worlds greatest technicians. They also claimed to be able to talk to our old Jetta and then realized when they were out there they couldn't do it. Anyone near you have an Autotap or Alex Peper scantool? I'd make sure what that code was before I just cleared it.

Clearing the codes takes 5 minutes tops. You're getting raped if you pay $40 for it but you may not have any other choice. Also, if the problem were resolved the light should have turned itself off by now.

Hexx
06-11-2004, 10:58 AM
I'd be willing to bet it's not just that sensor that caused it. The people at Autozone aren't exactly the worlds greatest technicians. They also claimed to be able to talk to our old Jetta and then realized when they were out there they couldn't do it. Anyone near you have an Autotap or Alex Peper scantool? I'd make sure what that code was before I just cleared it.

Clearing the codes takes 5 minutes tops. You're getting raped if you pay $40 for it but you may not have any other choice. Also, if the problem were resolved the light should have turned itself off by now.

I remember reading around here somewheres that the light will stay on until it is cleared, and can only be cleared using a hookup.

I went to Advanced Auto Parts, not Autozone. The guy there is the only one who does it and knows what he is doing ;)

I let him know what was going on and he said that his tool would not be able to clear it, because it was and ABS thing.

In realation to that, there was someone around here that had a bad hub and the SES light and other lights. They said when they went to get them checked at an Autozone (or a place like it) they got an error code but were unable to persue it because they didnt have the tool to read the codes in the ABS system (or something like that).

So I am thinking that there really is no problem, or maybe there is, but can only be read using a tool that can read the ABS system crapola.

Dan00GPGT
06-11-2004, 11:03 AM
According to the manual the history DTC will clear after 100 driving cycles. FWIW.

Hexx
06-11-2004, 11:07 AM
According to the manual the history DTC will clear after 100 driving cycles. FWIW.

So after starting the car up 100 times?

Dan00GPGT
06-11-2004, 11:10 AM
I believe that means that the car not only needs to be started but driven otherwise the wheel speed sensor is not putting out the ac signal. Ignition cycles are just starting the car.

Hexx
06-11-2004, 11:17 AM
I believe that means that the car not only needs to be started but driven otherwise the wheel speed sensor is not putting out the ac signal. Ignition cycles are just starting the car.

I guess I'll have the dealer check it all out to see what's up. Hopefully it's nothing big. Maybe a dirty connection? The wires looked fine....I followed them right up into the rear frame...nothing is bent or broken.

I blew into the end connector to make sure there was no dust...I don't think I have electrial cleaner anywheres but I could give that a shot I guess.

Dan00GPGT
06-11-2004, 11:22 AM
I guess I'll have the dealer check it all out to see what's up. Hopefully it's nothing big. Maybe a dirty connection? The wires looked fine....I followed them right up into the rear frame...nothing is bent or broken.

I blew into the end connector to make sure there was no dust...I don't think I have electrial cleaner anywheres but I could give that a shot I guess.

I think you might have misunderstood me. Your connection is probably fine but the car needs to be driven 100 times so that the wheel speed sensors output the ac signals to the ebcm. If you just went out and started the car 100 times the signal wouldn't be sent because the wheels weren't spinning. That would be 100 ignition cycles instead of 100 driving cycles.

Hexx
06-11-2004, 11:49 AM
I think you might have misunderstood me. Your connection is probably fine but the car needs to be driven 100 times so that the wheel speed sensors output the ac signals to the ebcm. If you just went out and started the car 100 times the signal wouldn't be sent because the wheels weren't spinning. That would be 100 ignition cycles instead of 100 driving cycles.

No I understood but I started thinking (and maybe I misunderstood this part) that if the code clears itself, there may actually be a problem still. Then I wouldn't know because it would be cleared.

But if there is a problem still, the lights would come back on eh?

Maybe I'm thinking too much.

Dan00GPGT
06-11-2004, 11:55 AM
It needs to go 100 driving cycles WITHOUT the wheel speed sensor causing the DTC again. So if it's been past 100 driving cycles and your light is still on, there's a good chance there is still a problem. If you drive it 100 cycles and the wheel speed sensor is still sending back good signals the code will clear.

If something was wrong, the MIL would light up regardless of how many times you cleared it before.