Full-Size Spare Tire in the trunk? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Full-Size Spare Tire in the trunk?

GTluver
06-11-2004, 09:10 PM
I was wondering if its possible to fit a full size, aftermarket 17" spare tire in the trunk along 2x 12" subs and its sub enclosure....without folding the seats down....im guessing a custom box has to be made for the subs? Im traveling alot this summer and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere is the last thing i wanna worry about by not having a spare tire....i dont wanna put it in the rear seat cuz that will attract attention to thieves...plus, i have 2 kids in the back so thats out of the question...

or if anyone has done it and have pix, let me know...thanx

BLACK99GT/ROB
06-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Not wanting to high jack this thread,but while answering the above question while the topic is here already about spare..........people with 18 inch wheels,can you still use the donut tire that comes with the car or do you suggest something else as the spare?PLEASE by all means answer GTluver's question first.Thanks!

AznGA
06-11-2004, 10:10 PM
It won't hurt to carry a full size spare, despite its heavier weight. Are you carrying another aftermarket 17" or do you have a steel wheel?

Jagey
06-11-2004, 10:14 PM
I would also suggest buying a better jack, because the stock jack is crappy and dangerous as hell

blake
06-11-2004, 11:09 PM
^^ yes it is..its one of the worst jacks for a car that iv ever seen

AznGA
06-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Is it because the handle is hard to turn? Other than that, I never thought it is that dangerous.

Jagey
06-11-2004, 11:45 PM
it looks like it would snap in half or tip over

GTluver
06-11-2004, 11:59 PM
It won't hurt to carry a full size spare, despite its heavier weight. Are you carrying another aftermarket 17" or do you have a steel wheel?

its an aftermarket 17" wheel AND tire......in other words...i wanna fit a 'fifth wheel' inside the trunk....and get rid of the stock spare tire/jack

jordanGT
06-12-2004, 09:50 AM
You're obviously not gonna fit it into the spare tire well, but as long as your box isn't ridiculously huge, you'll have room to fit the spare on the floor, as well as a good jack.

tenspeed
06-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Most of the tire should fit into the hole. Some will be sticking out since the full sized tire is alot wider than the spacesaver spare.

Why sre you worrying about a flat tire? Are your tires bad? How long has it been since you have had a flat tire? I can't remember my last, it's been years.

If you get a flat, use the space saver on the rear and go get the flat fixed or replaced.