Aftermarket exhaust... validate this claim? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket exhaust... validate this claim?

02andahalfgt
06-12-2004, 11:31 AM
So I had the car at the dealer to check some suspension problems on Thurs. Well when they're all done the guys talking to me before I get my keys back and says 'Ya know since you have that aftermarket exhaust on your car you're going to kill your catylitic converter.' I'm thinking wtf is he talking about, I've never heard anyone say anything like this on here. So he continues to tell me no matter what brand or who installs it, I'll be lucky to have the cat last anywhere between 25,000-50,000 miles. (I don't know what the standard life of a cat is to begin with) Why/How would an aftermarket exhaust shorten the life of the car?
He also says he thinks my car is running/sounds funny, and I should take off my CAI because it's probably damaging my engine. :nono: Where do they find these people to work in dealer service departments?! lol Why would a CAI ruin the engine? So the air filter is moved a couple feet, it's still doing the same job.

This is the same dealership that broke the plastic piece that holds the headlights in and blamed me for it b/c 'these kids these days and their blue headlight bulbs'.

eren00gt
06-12-2004, 01:37 PM
nice....

time to find a different dealer to go to.

Craig99SE2
06-12-2004, 02:55 PM
Tell him to explain all that to you again with his manager present...

02andahalfgt
06-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Tell him to explain all that to you again with his manager present...

He was the service dept. manager!!!! lol

tubbsGT1
06-12-2004, 08:52 PM
crazy dealerships. im sure he could make stuff up about a CAI causing problems, but how in the world would an exhaust kill ur cat.....i mean come on.......your changes to the exhaust come after the cat., i really dont understand how it would affect the act at all. gotta be one of the dumbest thing ive heard lol

rizer
06-13-2004, 12:40 AM
It must be the sound and vibrations the new muffler is providing. It isnt good for the cat, the muffler must go! :rolleyes:

Craig99SE2
06-13-2004, 08:23 AM
Sounds like he is just an idiot. You should go to another local dealership, ask the Service Manager the same questions pretending to be "dumb" then tell him what the other place said. Either that or write a letter to GM Corporate and tell them.

Sorry to be sounding overboard, but I hate dealerships ... especially ones with MORONS like that! They need to be stomped down a few notches to stop taking advantage of people!