Stock Fog Light Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Stock Fog Light Problem

BTarb24
06-13-2004, 07:41 AM
From the day i got my car my fog lights have never worked. The little light on the fog light switch never turns on either. I just used a mulitmeter to test for voltages on all 3 wires going to the switch and not a single wire has power whether the switch is on or off. Suggestions?

BTarb24
06-13-2004, 08:00 AM
OK, i played with it a bit more.. I unplugged the connector from the switch and i get 12V on the orange wire adn the other two have nothing which is normal.

When i connect the switch and have it in the OFF position and test the Orange wire i still get 12V.. Without moving the multimeter leads and turning the switch to ON the voltage is instantly gone and all 3 wires are dead.

so to sum... power is ONLY found on the Orange lead in the OFF position.

BTarb24
06-13-2004, 08:23 AM
Final update...

With the car running i tested for power in the fog light connector where the fog lights plug in and found nothing with either position of the switch. I had the headlights turned on during the test. Any clue why voltage never leaves the switch? Bad switch?

Dan00GPGT
06-14-2004, 06:04 AM
Here is a pinout for the foglamp switch:

Pin A - Orange wire - ground feed for foglamp relay (fed through BCM)
Pin B - Black/White wire - ground feed to foglamp switch
Pin C - Purple wire - foglamp switch LED voltage source

Check the fog lamps fuse. It's in the right hand fuseblock and is a 10 amp fuse labeled FOG LPS.

If the fuse is ok, check pin B for ground. If that's ok, flip the switch and make sure you get ground at pin A. If that's ok then the problem isn't your switch. If you're getting ground at pin A, pull the foglamp relay (it's in the right hand fuse block also) and check for ground at pin 85 (dark green/white wire). Pins 86 and 87 should both have +12volts all the time.

If you're getting all these voltages then I would suspect your relay. Try a new relay or you could jump pin 87 and pin 30 with a heavy gauge wire and see if your fogs come on. If they do I would suspect your relay.

Hope this helps.

BTarb24
06-15-2004, 04:37 AM
I pulled my relay and it had green tarnish all over the contacts. Appears to have gotten wet somehow. But either way that has to be the problem so ill just go buy a new one, thanks =)

Dan00GPGT
06-15-2004, 04:39 AM
I pulled my relay and it had green tarnish all over the contacts. Appears to have gotten wet somehow. But either way that has to be the problem so ill just go buy a new one, thanks =)

Do a search on here for fusebox and water leaks. I've read about it several times causing the fog lights to stay on, etc etc etc.... you may want to read those threads just to make sure there aren't other things you should check out as well.