How screwed am I? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How screwed am I?

luniz
06-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Today I messed up big. I went through a huge puddle, and my car stalled immediately. I totally misjudged the intersection and apparently the intersection dips down but I couldn't tell because of the water. I pushed my car through the water but it won't start. So do you think I killed the engine or will it start after it dries?

I have CAI with K&N filter if that helps you.

mr_eh
06-13-2004, 03:20 PM
remember the xzylophone at the beginning of the "na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye" song? ....yeah

UNCTYPE-S
06-13-2004, 03:27 PM
and it didnt throw up any kind of code? how deep was the puddle and were u flooring i through there. it could be possible if the conditions were likely to have water being sucked up through the piping and into the engine.

luniz
06-13-2004, 03:36 PM
I wasn't going fast and I just drifted into it. I was not accerlerating at all. I went back and the car finally started. There was some water that came out of the exhaust tips but there are not SES lights. The only thing that doesn't work is my fog lights and one of my grills fell off and was swept away. So I will let her sit put for a while and see what happens.

BLACK99GT/ROB
06-13-2004, 05:00 PM
Man,I was at the dealership a few months back and they had an Alero in there that had got into some deep water somehow(can't recall what they said actually happened) and the water was pouring out the tailpipes when they got it started.They said it would be ok after they got the water come out so if that Alero had all that water in the motor without it becoming toast then you should be fine with you getting so much less than that Alero.

Blackrider
06-13-2004, 05:09 PM
Yeah I think your lucky, Water dosn't really like to compress like air....

luniz
06-13-2004, 05:18 PM
I just went back out and she started right up. Hopefully there is no damage beyond the fog lights and grilles. I guess only time will tell.

Craig99SE2
06-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Prolly a bad idea restarting it!!! When you suspect water in the engine, IMMEDIATELY pull all the plugs and crank it over until water stops coming out of the plug holes. Then ... try to start it.

This is why a CAI will NEVER find a way on my car!

iceman
06-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Sounds like your filter was wet to the point it was clogged. Happened to me once, everything is fine now

mr_eh
06-13-2004, 07:06 PM
15.nothing = fine!? *notifies dhp*

im with craig, cai = bad

AznGA
06-13-2004, 07:28 PM
Glad to hear your car is okay. Yeap, that is why I have WAI. I KNOW that CAI gives you more gain, but with WAI you don't have to worry about ANYTHING! Because **** like this CAN happen.

BLACK99GT/ROB
06-13-2004, 07:41 PM
Well I have had my CAI for about a year now with absolutlely no problems at all.I have driven in plenty of rain and wet roads and have actually hit some pretty huge puddles with nothing happening so to me........ CAI=GOOD!

UNCTYPE-S
06-13-2004, 08:28 PM
same here. it would seem impossible to get water into the engine, but i guess it happens.

luniz
06-14-2004, 05:12 AM
Well the fogs work today. So now the only damage is the left gutter grille is somewhere floating in the city. Engine sounds normal. There was an Aurora who was stalled in the same spot 5 seconds after mine. So it appears that CAI or not, my car would have stalled when I hit the water.

Craig99SE2
06-14-2004, 06:23 AM
Not to bring you down or anything, but you might wanna have the car checked out somewhere! I hydro-locked my Jeep last November and after pumping the water out, all seemed well since it started and ran like a champ. BUT ... about 3 months ago I was doing 70MPH on the freeway and it threw the #1 rod through the side of the block.

After looking at the carnage, it appears my water incident bent a couple rods and it was just a timebomb waiting to go!

I highly suggest catching it now before it does major damage like this:

http://www.michiganjeepers.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2160

luniz
06-14-2004, 06:27 AM
I can take it to a mechanic, but what do I have them check out? Do I simply say that there could be water in the block?

Craig99SE2
06-14-2004, 06:32 AM
No, water is long gone within seconds after restarting! Just have him check the engine for any out-of-spec vibrations. Not sure how they would check an internally-balanced engine tho ...

Roush GT
06-14-2004, 06:43 AM
yeah sounds like your lucky.. I drove last night in a major downpour.. big puddles of water everywhere.. they were pretty much unavoidable too.. no problems here though

luniz
06-14-2004, 06:45 AM
When I talk about big puddle, when my car was stuck, I opened the door and water was getting in. I made a huge misjudgement on that one. doh!

Craig99SE2
06-14-2004, 06:50 AM
That's why you flag someone to go around and watch them first! lol

luniz
06-14-2004, 06:53 AM
Thats what a guy did. He watched me get stuck and then he tried to get through. Needless to say we both were pushing each others cars out of there.

fo44rd
06-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Prolly a bad idea restarting it!!! When you suspect water in the engine, IMMEDIATELY pull all the plugs and crank it over until water stops coming out of the plug holes. Then ... try to start it.

This is why a CAI will NEVER find a way on my car!

:slayer :slayer :slayer

SOMEONE BUY THIS MAN A BEER!!!!!!!!!

This member is very knowledgeable............

....................sir, I give you props!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roush GT
06-15-2004, 05:23 AM
:slayer :slayer :slayer

SOMEONE BUY THIS MAN A BEER!!!!!!!!!

This member is very knowledgeable............

....................sir, I give you props!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: :wtf