underdrive pulley.. where is the fly wheel [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : underdrive pulley.. where is the fly wheel

SportsSocc
06-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Ok, so i'm new to the whole mod thing and i decided to start with an underdrive pully from Fast Forward performance, well after reading the instructions sent by FFP and some givin by somebody i here it says to lodge a screwdriver into the flywheel to keep the crank from turning while u tighten the pully back onto the engine..... Where the heck is the flywheel located at?? cause i looked all over for it to keep it from spinning and get the pullly on all the way and i can't find it... thakns guys!

sweet98gagt
06-13-2004, 08:05 PM
um ure flywheel is inside of ure bellhousing which is off ure tranny.... why you'd have to do that is beyond me, but i've never done a pulley so i dunno

SportsSocc
06-14-2004, 09:25 AM
i dunno its to keep the crank from turning as ur tightening the crank pully on the end, casue u can get it so far and the crank just turns and the pully doesn't tighten all the way onto the shaft like its supposed to, so u have to keep the crank from turning. if u can think of another way to keep it from turning by all means share it!!!

jamcllw
06-14-2004, 09:33 AM
impact wrench

Hexx
06-14-2004, 09:34 AM
I would say if your pullies are still on......

Turn the car on, put it in drive, pull the e-brake, turn the car off (leave it in D....the key will not come out)...change the pully now. You should be able to tighten it I would assume because the force from it being in gear.

I've never changed a pully in my GA, so don't trust me 100% ;)

2002AmSE
06-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Hexx, that sort of thing doesn't work, because the torque convertor will make the engine as if it wasn't in gear, because if you have the car in drive, it still rolls on you as if it were in neutral, wait, thats the output side of the transmission... I might be wrong about that whole thing, i just figured that the torque convertor would still let it spin

Someone help him though. I don't think I know what im talking about but I think the flywheel is connected in some way to the starter

Scooter
06-15-2004, 10:14 PM
I agree that an impact wrench is the easiest way to tighten the bolt without it turning. If you don't have one available check out the how-to on my website listed in my signature. Click on Projects to get to my various How-tos

If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM or Email me.

...Mike

jimraelee
06-17-2004, 10:15 AM
I would say if your pullies are still on......

Turn the car on, put it in drive, pull the e-brake, turn the car off (leave it in D....the key will not come out)...change the pully now. You should be able to tighten it I would assume because the force from it being in gear.

I've never changed a pully in my GA, so don't trust me 100% ;)

ahh hello if this is a automatic ( hence you said leave it in D) then how would that keep the engine from rotating... the tranny is hydrolic thru the torque converter and therefore the engine will still rotate..... just use a large prybar to lock between two of the 4 bolts on the water pump pulley to hold the eng from rotating or you can always use the crank pulley bolt

if you look at my web site you will see what the tranny looks like without engine. (http://home.comcast.net/~jimbutterfield/missingengine.JPG) and there is where the torque converter is... now that bolts directly to the flywheel which is bolted to the crank on the engine.. .hope this helps