stupid autozone [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : stupid autozone

ryGT1
06-13-2004, 04:50 PM
It's been nothing but drama with my car and squeaky belts. I had a gatorback on my car for two years with no trouble. So I thought it might be time to replace it, and I got a new one about a two months ago. It was great for a week, then it started to squeak very bad. I figured i got a bad one, so I went back and bought another one (because I threw out my receipt) put that on and the same deal! But this time the squeaking wasn't nearly as bad.

So today I decided to replace the tensioner, figuring that might solve the problem. Well, get it on without trouble, but... the belt hits the back on the tensioner. WTF!!! I get on autozones webpage, their part # for the gatorback is 4060865. I get on goodyears website, their part number # is 4060868. So the belt goodyear says our car needs is 3/10ths longer than the one autozone is selling, and that is obviously the case.

I think the longer belt would solve the problem, I understand itís not that much of a difference, but I think it will be enough. The old tensioner was so loose that it didn't make a difference with the shorter belt.

sorry for the long post, I just wanted to share my frustration.

EBlend
06-13-2004, 08:24 PM
are you sure its touching? because since the belt origianly comes folded it needs to be stretched a little...when i put mine on it was touching also, but then i just use the same tool i used to release the tension but pushed it the otehr way to increase the tension and it straighened out the belt, and now its fine, it kinda close to the tensioner but its working fine with no problems for me

ryGT1
06-14-2004, 04:51 AM
yes it is... the belt has been on the car since Easter weekend, so I would think it should be stretched out enough by now.

ryGT1
06-14-2004, 05:46 AM
EBlend, you are the man!!! You just saved me hours of work today! After I responded I figured I would try out what you suggested, and it worked like a charm. I just assumed I wouldn't have to do that, but whatever, it worked. And I think this is the second time you saved my a$$ if I remember correctly. Anyway, I you a beer or two. :boogie:

As for autozone, they are selling the wrong belt, but I guess it really doen't make a difference.