Bad Battery [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Bad Battery


GTLUVA
06-13-2004, 07:26 PM
I was washing my car today and waxing it and conditioning the leather and all of the works and I had my radio on on and I was playing XM Radio all day for about 5 hours. I tried to start up my car tonight to drive it back in the garage and the lights were flashing but the car wouldn't start. The lights would turn on but the car wouldn't start. My brother jump started me with his eclipse and I took my car around the block a couple of times and it runs fine now after the jump. Do you think my playing the radio that long could of killed my battery in my car. My car only has 11,000 miles on it and it was built in April 2003.

brim
06-13-2004, 07:30 PM
2 hours of fog lights almost killed me once =\ , it didn't turn over the first time i tried it but worked 5 minutes later

that was when my battery WAS "working"

since then i've replaced battery/alternator but at the time i wasn't having trouble

parts2000
06-13-2004, 08:08 PM
yes thats a lot of time on a battery with out starting it

GTLUVA
06-13-2004, 08:17 PM
But I didn't have my radio turned on for 5 hours all together. I would have it on for about an hour than I would shut off my car lock it up. Then come back about every two hours. When I tried starting my car up it wouldn't turn at all but the radio made really weird buzzing noises. I had XM Radio on than all of a sudden it switched to FM. But my radio was really whining when I would turn the key in the ignition. It was so strange I never had any weird noises happy to me before. I think I'm going to change my license plates from GT LUVA to GT HATA

sicc
06-13-2004, 09:50 PM
with a normal battery, you should have your stereo on for an hour max.. then START your car, so the alternator can recharge your battery... the fact you turned it off after the hour, then listened to it again later w/o starting the car is the problem. if you do this constantly id suggest an optima battery... after i got mine i had to test it. had it on for 4 straight hours, and it started RIGHT up afterwards. definitely worth the $$.

action
06-14-2004, 07:53 AM
Yeah, thats a good bit of drain on a stock battery. The weird things happening with the stereo can probably be attributed to the lower than normal voltage being supplied by the almost dead battery. 10 volts can do weird things to eletcronics that are designed for 12-14.7v.

GTLUVA
06-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Yep, I had the dealer to a electrical test today on my car and they found nothing wrong. So I guess when I wash my car next time I can't be playing my radio inside of my car even though I had the key on acessories. :)

Mike Jung
06-14-2004, 12:57 PM
...So I guess when I wash my car next time I can't be playing my radio inside of my car even though I had the key on acessories. :)
That is why I use a boom-box when washing my car.

I now even have a 50W AC inverter cig. plug adaptor to my rechargable booster battery pack to provide power to the boom-box.
Now I don't even have to worry about D-sized batteries.