Gas gauge a little off? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gas gauge a little off?

Hexx
06-14-2004, 09:27 AM
It seems to be sticking and a tad bit inaccurate. I put in $10 in my car...got me about half a tank. Drove somewheres...not far btw...and the gauge said below a quarter of a tank. When I left the place I went to, it was up to a tad bit over 1/4 a tank.

Last night and this morning on my way to work it said a little under 1/4.

Anyways...this has been going on for a month or so now and I remember my friend sending me a link about a gas station co. that had bad gas or something that would mess up your gauge...of course he sent this to me after I filled up at their place.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? I forget which gas station it was...Shell or something like that. Would injector cleaner maybe help the tank out? I dont want to have to flush the tank and change my filter/lines. It's not a BIG big deal, just an annoyance.

Mike Jung
06-14-2004, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I read about that; in certain states that there was a bad batch of Shell gasoline.

It had too much sulphur in it.
& people were trying to get Shell to pay for messed up fuel gauge level sender units.

Also, check out this thread when Shell in southern Ontario, Canada had too much sulphur in it.
Fuel Level Sensor (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14550&page=1&pp=20)
& see the Toronto Star newspaper article that is in page 2 of that thread:
from: Toronto Star newspaper, Saturday, Dec 20, '03: Why the fuel gauges in GM cars don't always work. Company has part that can fix problem. Ottawa says gauges don't pose a risk. (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1071875408724)

Try using a total fuel system cleaner (not just an fuel injector cleaner) in the gas tank.
I know it has worked for me the last 2-springs, when my full gauge started acting up again.
After a few gas tanks later, my gas gauge return to normal operation.