Installed new HU...battery dead [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Installed new HU...battery dead

GrandRamGT
06-14-2004, 10:10 AM
I had a new HU put in last night and now my battery is dead this morning. I have an 01 with the monsoon, and I had the stock HU relocated to the trunk, and everything worked perfect with the HU last night. Like I said my battery this morning was completely dead. This battery is the original battery that came from the factory, and I have killed it at least 6 times in the past. I'm thinking the battery needs replaced since its a 3 y/o car and its been killed so many times before? Suggestions?

Thanks

juanvan
06-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Defiantly replace the battery.
Check to see if the HU is turning off with the car, perhaps its still drawing power.

GrandRamGT
06-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Ok, thanks. I Just checked, and the HU wasn't powering off with the car, how can I get it to do this? Does removing the faceplate do this? Thanks.

iceman
06-14-2004, 11:37 AM
That means you don't have the accessory wire to the head unit hooked up properly if it is not going off at all.

the major power connections should be like this

Yellow wire from head unit - constant power

Red wire from head unit - to an accessory power source. If you got a relocation kit, it probably came with a red wire and a fuse tap - you'll need to use that.

Black, ground...

also deep cycling the stock battery will make it do funny, unreliable things..

GrandRamGT
06-14-2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks Seth.. I didn't install it, I had a shop install it for me, I guess I'll be taking it back there for them to fix it. But if I do get a new battery and I install it am I going to still have the problem of the HU killing the battery?

iceman
06-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Yeah, it's not advisable for the head unit to be always powered up. Not good for it or your battery. Take it back and make them do it right :)

brim
06-14-2004, 08:35 PM
definately no good man, whoever installed it, tell them the problem, and hope your battery does well. Disconnect the HU till the wiring is sorted out

juanvan
06-15-2004, 10:54 AM
U can remove the face plate for now and it should now draw power.