Front Bearing Problems on a 99? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Front Bearing Problems on a 99?

rkjunior
06-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Hey all --

I am at an impass on what could be wrong with my 99 Alero GLS Coupe. I have replaced 2 front left bearings in the last few months.... The last one about a month ago.. This current bearing got about a weeks worth of driving on it before I got rearended -- so my car was in the body shop for the last few weeks.. Just got it back and I noticed the car had alot of left play in the steering ... Jack up the LF tire and, low and behold, the tire wiggles around/loose. Another bad bearing.. What would cause the same bearing to go twice? I've replaced the Front calipers in the car, along with new pads/rotors at the same time as the bearing (I actually did both sides just to be certain)... Are these model Alero/Grand Am known for bearing problems?

Would anything else cause those bearings to go? I am desperate to finding a solution!

Thanks,
Rob

Aleromi
06-14-2004, 07:11 PM
Well i had my right one replace by the dealer before my warranty was up and then i had to replace the left one cuz of the CV outer boot thing..... SO to tell ya that part should be under a life time warranty from where u brought it from..... I know i work at Pepboys PT here In mi....
So if ya need any help email me

Bigwill72@sbcglobe.net:)

asepgrad98
06-14-2004, 07:27 PM
you should try to re-torque the axle nut. new bearings can loosen up a little.

brim
06-14-2004, 09:32 PM
same boat really, I had my driver side bearing replaced in january-february, since then I'm had the front rotors and pads replaced, as well as the front tires

and now, the bearing sounds as if it's winding up again, starting to get loud after 35 mph

rkjunior
06-15-2004, 06:50 AM
the thing is, on mine, it's not making any whining sounds but i can physcially grab the tire while up on a jack and move it around, like it's loose. I checked the bolts and they are all fine.

I'm having somoene look at it tomorrow.

Aleromi
07-14-2004, 06:31 PM
Um hub bearing will go and in some of u need to get new one asap...

And NO they are not re packable...

Most of the time the trac light and the ABS light will come on if ur hub go's..

they run about 120 and up so shop around but if u can find a good price email me

Bigwill72@sbcglobal.net

i'll see if i can get it for ya...

I work at pepboys here in mich.:)