steering wheel shake all speeds [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel shake all speeds

gunner
06-15-2004, 06:16 AM
Ok guys check this out , it dosent matter what speed im going , every morning i start it up and go to work i get this shakeing in the wheel now its not bad but , it's getting on my nerves but it last for about i guess 10 to 15 miles and then kinda gos away it's like the car waits for the tires to warm up and go's away, also when i turn the wheel i get a clunk and i can feel it in the steering wheel. any ideas this thing is brand new ive got 400 miles on it. Luke

akeller
06-15-2004, 06:20 AM
My car is brand new too. I bought mine about 4 months ago. I felt shaking in my steering wheel too but after a couple of weeks, it just completely went away. I never had the clunk though. You might want to check your tire pressure. More than likely, your car was sitting on the lot for some time and nothing being done to it so it may have lost tire pressure and needs air.

gunner
06-15-2004, 06:34 AM
My car is brand new too. I bought mine about 4 months ago. I felt shaking in my steering wheel too but after a couple of weeks, it just completely went away. I never had the clunk though. You might want to check your tire pressure. More than likely, your car was sitting on the lot for some time and nothing being done to it so it may have lost tire pressure and needs air.
WEll i feel it in the wheel the clunk that is it seems to be comming from the rack pinion at least that what it sounds like, but it only clunks if im sitting still and i turn the wheel but ill check my pressure just to be certain.

gunner
06-15-2004, 06:35 AM
actually they had to get it from the factory since they diddent have what i wanted took them a week to get it.

gunner
06-15-2004, 06:40 AM
ok just checked the pressure and all is good, i talked to a buddy of mine and he said that it might be just the boots on the rack that havent been broken in yet to give them some time to brake in.

akeller
06-15-2004, 06:46 AM
I would give it a week or 2 and if you see no improvement, definetly go running back to the dealer. Like i said earlier, my car shook too when I first got it and then it went away. Goodluck man.

gunner
06-15-2004, 06:49 AM
I would give it a week or 2 and if you see no improvement, definetly go running back to the dealer. Like i said earlier, my car shook too when I first got it and then it went away. Goodluck man.
Ok thanks thats what ill do ill just wait for awile , ill give it to the end of the month and then if it dosent fix its self ill take it in. thanks man ! Luke

sweet98gagt
06-15-2004, 07:47 AM
all bull**** aside, this just happened in my 90 accord. Turned out that the lug nuts got loose and stipped the bolts they tighten down to. It started out w/ a mild clunk when just cruising and just kept gettin worse. Check those puppies out real quick

gunner
06-15-2004, 11:37 AM
all bull**** aside, this just happened in my 90 accord. Turned out that the lug nuts got loose and stipped the bolts they tighten down to. It started out w/ a mild clunk when just cruising and just kept gettin worse. Check those puppies out real quick
I checked the lugs they were pretty tight but i still could turn them a bit so i cranked on them there tight now for sure, i wont be able to tell if it worked till tomarrow since it only happens when the car has been sitting for awile, but ill let you no if its gone so far so good when i went back to work after tighting them i diddent feel any shakeing so maybe it worked , thanks for the help guys. Luke

juanvan
06-15-2004, 12:17 PM
If you could turn them while they were down on the ground, I would look in to lifting the car and getting the tire off the ground to see if its pressed againest the rotor correctly.

gunner
06-15-2004, 12:26 PM
If you could turn them while they were down on the ground, I would look in to lifting the car and getting the tire off the ground to see if its pressed againest the rotor correctly.
ya i jacked it up to and they turned even more so they were a little loose but i still wouldnet think that it would have made that big of a diff but i guess weirder things have happened.

BiHStL
06-15-2004, 01:40 PM
man its a 2004, You have a warranty so make that dealership work for you. Get as much as you can from them while you can.

gunner
06-15-2004, 03:22 PM
man its a 2004, You have a warranty so make that dealership work for you. Get as much as you can from them while you can.
O i will dont you worry.