Custom WAI [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Custom WAI

GAGT7386
06-15-2004, 07:33 AM
Ok I have been reading all these posts on CAI / WAI and have come to the conclution that I don't want to risk any kind of problems with water or anything so I think I will go with the WAI. Since I haven't seen any real numbers I'll assume it isn't that much of a difference. Does anyone know how to make a custom WAI? I know that there is a thing on n-body.net to make a CAI but how about a WAI? Oh and prolly a dumb question but is something like this going to add high end or low end power??

PACE
06-15-2004, 07:34 AM
stick a big focking cone filter onto your MAF.......you can replace the tubing as well...

GAGT7386
06-15-2004, 07:37 AM
Is it necessary to replace the tubing or no??

PACE
06-15-2004, 07:39 AM
not mandatory.....

Craig99SE2
http://www.jeepnuts.com/12sGASE/intake.htm

GAGT7386
So just stick a big cone filter on the end of the stock tubing??

GAGT7386
06-15-2004, 07:44 AM
http://www.jeepnuts.com/12sGASE/intake.htm

where did you get the tube from?? did it come with the intake you ordered?

Craig99SE2
06-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Yeah, it came from RAT but they are out of business. I'd suggest e-mailing Kyle at www.doctorspeed.com and asking about the tubing if you want just that. He should hook you up ... right Kyle? ;)

GAGT7386
06-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Hey guys I was thinking ... could I leave the stock box in there and just remove the top? That way the Ram Air function is still pushing air into the box keeping it slighty cooler? Or does everything have to come off?? I would think it would work. Could be wrong though...

Rba007
06-15-2004, 08:41 AM
Ram air is pretty much worthless. If you simply want a WAI slap a cone on the end of your tubing or go to autozone and buy a civic CAI and chop it up for the tubing you need. Youll eventually end up with a CAI though, the WAI will leave you wanting more and get you hooked.

GAGT7386
06-15-2004, 09:10 AM
That would work or no if I left the stock box was on? Wouldn't it help keep some of the warm air out of there?

GAGTSCTGuy
06-15-2004, 09:28 AM
The top of the air box is connected to the rubber piping that enters the MAF isn't it? Making it impossible to remove and still have a functional air box....

Craig99SE2
06-15-2004, 09:34 AM
I think he means attach a cone to the top and just sit it in the bottom with Ram Air attached. But yes, ram air is a joke anyway. The only problem is you are limited to a 5" or smaller cone filter in the stock airbox. By removing it, you can add up to about a 12" cone. The larger the cone, the larger the surface area. I'd recommend AT LEAST a 7" cone for a stock 3.4L.

GAGT7386
06-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Alright thanks for all the in put here guys. I know this has been disscussed way to many times. I will let you know how it goes. Oh and by the way is it low end or high end added HP / Torque?

elim
06-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Warm = more lowend torque / less hp
Cold = a little lowend torque loss / pretty good highend torque & hp

EDIT: oh, and http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8109

Use the search ! :rage: :thumbs:

Craig99SE2
06-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Not trying to start a debate, but I have yet to see the torque/HP, CAI/WAI dyno information. So far it is all just speculation. But FWIW, either way you are still flowing more air than the stock airbox so it is a gain nonetheless. The rest depends on airflow across filter, heat shielding, etc., etc., etc...

Hexx
06-15-2004, 01:48 PM
Not trying to start a debate, but I have yet to see the torque/HP, CAI/WAI dyno information. So far it is all just speculation. But FWIW, either way you are still flowing more air than the stock airbox so it is a gain nonetheless. The rest depends on airflow across filter, heat shielding, etc., etc., etc...

I am waiting for numbers also.

I had the idea also about leaving the bottom half of the air box in. I figured it would draw cooler air from outside in.

Craig99SE2
06-15-2004, 02:47 PM
You could also build a shield around the filter as well. But then it gets into the "grey area" of the shield reflecting the heat or absorbing it and transferring to the air on the inside ...

But then it comes down to the fact that WAI or CAI ... even if CAI IAT reads 50 degrees cooler, when that air is compressed in that cylinder, it's all the same temp regardless of that miniscule 50 degrees before it entered the throttle body. I'd even go so far as to bet that if someone could measure the air temp at the injector it would be identical WAI vs. CAI. Sorry, but if any of you have put your hands on the UIM of a GA that has run for 30+ minutes ... a 50 degree difference in incoming air AIN'T GONNA DO SQUAT!

Bottom line is dump the restrictive airbox and get a cone they are less restrictive! Doesn't matter if it is WAI or CAI except for how many minutes it takes you to change your filter. :boogie:

eren00gt
06-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Here is my set-up which I just finished here recently. I bought a tube on ebay and cut it into 2 pieces and got the filter I wanted and put it together. I removed the air box but left the 2 tubes that feed air to it. Then I wrapped the tube in exhaust header tape wrap stuff. I didn't have enough to do the whole tube so I have to get more. I admit it's not much to look at but it serves its function.

I also remember reading something not too long ago about having too big a filter not doing any good and that our cars only need a certain size filter to do the job. And that anything bigger is a waste of money. I can't recall the exact discussion but if anyone remembers feel free to chime in.