1 search every 30 seconds [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 1 search every 30 seconds

98GrandAmSE
06-15-2004, 10:18 AM
I think that we should get rid of the thing that allows only 1 search every 30 seconds. When you search for something and nothing comes up that you need, you have to sit there and wait until it allows you to do another search.

CruzinGT33
06-15-2004, 10:34 AM
I second that...

cavingman
06-15-2004, 10:55 AM
yea sometimes i accidently tap the new posts button twice, then i gotta wait 30 secs.
maybe lower it to 15?

luniz
06-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Yeah not everyone is on dial-up. I have very little patience. I say lower it a bit

BiHStL
06-15-2004, 12:21 PM
lower it, sumtimes for me the page doesnt load then when i try to search again, it wont let me for 30 sec.

jer_stud56
06-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Yup I open usually more than 2 pages at once...read them all - then reply if I have something to say - and I can't well...because I have to wait to post again and have to retype it out. It's an incoinvince but yet they have to have something so you don't double post or stuff like that. Although it still does happen.

luniz
06-18-2004, 08:29 AM
So can we get any feedback on this?

Dees Nutz
06-18-2004, 09:14 AM
I think it should be raised to 1 search every 5 minutes for obvious reasons. :thumbs:

GAGTSCTGuy
06-18-2004, 10:15 AM
I think it should be raised to 1 search every 5 minutes for obvious reasons. :thumbs:

Why is that?

I mean all I hear, not to me but other people is.... Search search search, and I can understand it is easier to post sometimes. I hate sitting here, waiting for thirty seconds for everything, new posts, posts by particular user, searchs. It is very annoying. Is the server under that much stress?

edit:
Yup I open usually more than 2 pages at once...read them all - then reply if I have something to say

I'm the same way.

Ryan
06-18-2004, 11:36 AM
It all has to do with server resources. Searching uses a HUGE amount of server resources. If we lower the delay time then if someone decides they want to search like crazy (who knows) the site would slow to a crawl and everyone would suffer.

Search every 30 seconds and be happy! :)

98GrandAmSE
06-18-2004, 08:45 PM
I mean all I hear, not to me but other people is.... Search search search, and I can understand it is easier to post sometimes. I hate sitting here, waiting for thirty seconds for everything, new posts, posts by particular user, searchs. It is very annoying. Is the server under that much stress?

:thumbs:

It all has to do with server resources. Searching uses a HUGE amount of server resources. If we lower the delay time then if someone decides they want to search like crazy (who knows) the site would slow to a crawl and everyone would suffer.

Search every 30 seconds and be happy! :)
:wtf

Even knocking 10 seconds off of the limit would help a lot. If you think about it, if we want to search for something, we are going to search as many times as necessary. Waiting 30 seconds cant help reduce server stress if we are going to search anyway. It just prolongs how long we have to sit.

ndprunner22
06-21-2004, 12:32 PM
lower it 30 seconds is wicked gay 25 would even be 20 no one will flood the search

screw 56ker get with it broadband is the same price!

98GrandAmSE
06-21-2004, 06:01 PM
lower it 30 seconds is wicked gay 25 would even be 20 no one will flood the search

screw 56ker get with it broadband is the same price!

:wtf :wtf uhm... what? ;psycho :duh:

2002AmSE
06-21-2004, 11:39 PM
What he is saying about server resources for searching is right. The server has to open and search a huge database every time someone searches, and if people are all searching every 10 seconds and there are too many at a time, it will do some serious bogging of the server. I've done this type of search server database work before, and it takes quite alot of hard drive use, and when two happen at a time it doesn't take twice as long, but longer. It's is called drive thrashing, a drive that doesn't finish what it is doing before a new request in will try to multitask the processes sending the drive all over its seek range looking for a small amount of information for each process and cycling through them until it is done, but without all the seeking it would get through the chunk much much faster, but without that "chunk" the little bits slow it down to a crawl....

In the end a search limit does make your browsing of this page faster, its not a bandwith issue, but a server processing speed issue.

The 30 seconds could be a little too long, but I would need to see the server to know for sure, and that isnt happening. Whoever runs the server would be able to determine how long it takes per search to determine acceptable perameters for a search limit.

98GrandAmSE
06-22-2004, 07:35 AM
That makes sense