Need major help! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need major help!

99GTPOS
06-15-2004, 02:19 PM
My GT has had a whining noise that I assumed was the power steering pump. It gets louder as you turn... very annoying. Now there is a scraping sound like the bearings are going out on something in the accessory drive system. Is there anything in particular I should look for? Steering pump sounds the same as before. I think it might be the AC compressor because the AC just quit working. Is there a trick to figuring out what the problem is? Can anyone recommend a good place for parts? I think I have to do the LIM gasket too, because my coolant light came on. This car has been nothing but trouble from the start. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

98GrandAmSE
06-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Rack and pinion?

DanIAm
06-15-2004, 04:46 PM
I had the same scraping noise w/ my car. Hopefully, you can get a better deal than I did, but I took mine to Sears Automotive.

I had the following done:

- New Rotors
- Alignment
- Brakes inspected
- New Tires

Overall cost: $1,015.00

I'm sure you can get it repaired cheaper than that, and probably don't need new tires like I did...those alone were $450.00, so you may be able to get it inspected to make sure it's the rotors causing the sound. Mine wasn't extremely loud, but was getting louder and louder, and I could feel it in the steering wheel when I turned the wheel.

After replacing the rotors, I haven't heard the noise since.

Hope this information helps.

Mike Jung
06-15-2004, 04:55 PM
99GTPOS,

Have you had this done yet:
TSB # 99-02-32-002 for '99 [built prior to Feb '99] GA's: Power Steering System Noise Concerns -(Replace Power Steering Hose, Enlarge System Restrictor) (http://e-toolbox.com/pdf/052000/051593.pdf)

(previously posted in: power steering pump (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24665) )

99GTPOS
06-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Dan,
It's definitely a motor problem. I've done brakes on it and a lot of other cars, so I know what that sounds like. This is definitely something in the accessory drive system. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Mike,
I haven't seen anything yet. This is my 2nd post to the site. I just found it. Thanks for the pdf. I'll check it out right away. If you have anything else I need to take care of, please let me know! Thanks a lot!