Brake Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake Question

DanIAm
06-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Hey guys...just a quick opinion on which brakes are the best for a 2000 Grand Am GT??? The brakes were new on the car when I got it, but I don't think the brake pads were that great...You can hear this weird sound when your stopped and press the brake pedal. I don't even know how to begin explaining the sound...but I know it's not normal for a car to make it. Any suggestions???

Also, the brake calipers (are those the clamps that hold your brake pads???) Wondering if those can be replaced w/ a smooth outside, instead of the rigged ones that come from the factory?

Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

GALover
06-15-2004, 06:39 PM
That sound was probably your brakes warning you they were low. If it was a really high pitched squeal, that's what it was. Take it in somewhere and get free estimate.
Your right, the brake pad holders are called calipers. But I don't know if you can get smooth. I'm not a pro but the ridges are probably required to dicipate the heat they create.

brsexton
06-15-2004, 07:30 PM
Hey guys...just a quick opinion on which brakes are the best for a 2000 Grand Am GT??? The brakes were new on the car when I got it, but I don't think the brake pads were that great...You can hear this weird sound when your stopped and press the brake pedal. I don't even know how to begin explaining the sound...but I know it's not normal for a car to make it. Any suggestions???

Also, the brake calipers (are those the clamps that hold your brake pads???) Wondering if those can be replaced w/ a smooth outside, instead of the rigged ones that come from the factory?

Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

The noise you hear is a "Creak" I bet. I had it happen to my 03 Alero. Its very common with our cars and all it is, the caliper hardware clips need to be lubed. The clip that makes the noise is the one located in the top of the caliper. All you have to do is pop it out, and put some high temp lube on it. That will take care of the problem for a little while. Then you just do the same again when it comes back. Also its just a noise, it will not affect your brakes in any way. Hope this helps

P.S. You live only about 80 miles away from me. I used to live in Roanoke while in college.

DanIAm
06-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Thanks brsexton...you guys are great help. I've been trying to fix the "smaller" things on my car, before putting some major money into a body kit and "pimpin" it out. I'd hate to spend all that money, and then my car break down...lol (that'd be my luck).

I know where Galax is located, I used to go that way back home (From West Virginia). You know of any car clubs around our way to join?

Thanks