Temp/ Heat Gauge Fluctuates [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Temp/ Heat Gauge Fluctuates

Mowat_1
06-17-2004, 10:46 AM
Is there a specific reason why the tempature heat gauge fluctuates up and down. Why does'nt it just stay at normal operating temp 90C. There are no signs of any coolant leak and fan seems to operate OK.

Doctor Ouchie
06-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Small fluctuations are normal, just depends on the type of driving you're doing. Stop and go traffic will usually send your temps up for a little bit, once you're back up to highway speeds it should cool down. Also making stops where you turn your engine off and back on in less than 30 minutes will send your coolant temperatures pretty high.

BiHStL
06-17-2004, 11:26 PM
what is our normal running temp???

Mowat_1
06-18-2004, 05:48 AM
While car was in dealership for regular maintenance I was told it needed new water pump, had it replaced. Prior to having a new water pump installed it generally stayed at 90C. Temp gauage now fluctuates upwards as high as +/_115C then drops to 90C then back up again, this is during city driving. While operating at highway speed the temp gauge stays just above 90C.

Is this typical for GM vehicles.

I also own a Dodge Grand Caravan (00) and the temp gauge never moves when it reaches it's operating temp city or highway driving.

When the car was new I do not believe the temp gauge moved at all above 90C.

Would there be air in the system or is this just natural for a 4 year old car.