Plug Wires & Di-Electric Grease [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Plug Wires & Di-Electric Grease

Doctor Ouchie
06-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Right now I'm in the middle of prepping my UIM for paint, and I was removing the plug wires from the cap (proper term? if not, the place behind the UIM where the plug wires connect). I found two of the connectors were covered in di-electric grease, but it had turned brown and full of dirt and dust. All the other connectors were clean and shiny.

Question is, should I apply di-electric grease to all of the plugs? The ones that had it, I cleaned with a wire brush, which restored the luster pretty well. Or am I increasing resistance by removing it?

Also some of the plugs didn't connect very well, I used a set of pliers and lightly crimped them so they'd seat better, does that signify it's time for a new set of plug wires?

Thanks in advance :boogie:

iceman
06-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Sure apply it. It'll help give a good plug-wire connection and also make it much easier to pull the boots off next time.

GAGTSCTGuy
06-17-2004, 12:43 PM
Question, doesn't Di-Electric mean a nonconductor of electricity? Wouldn't that make it a worst connection?

iceman
06-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Nah.. prevents the connection from corrosion and condenstation as well :)

Dr_Kyle
06-17-2004, 01:00 PM
I was always under the impression that it was short for "Dimethylpolysiloxane Grease".

GAGTSCTGuy
06-17-2004, 01:22 PM
:thumbsdow I hate when two totally different things have the same name or similar names.

iceman
06-17-2004, 01:25 PM
I was always under the impression that it was short for "Dimethylpolysiloxane Grease".

You must have been thinking dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane???? or maybe trinitrotoluene :)

Dr_Kyle
06-17-2004, 02:17 PM
No definitely not, unless its raining out.

AaronGAGT
06-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Question, doesn't Di-Electric mean a nonconductor of electricity?

Thats right. It says right on my can in front of me. "Does not conduct electricity". Weird.