Battery Light and faster blinker [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Battery Light and faster blinker

rizer
06-17-2004, 07:10 PM
So im on my way home from Taco bell and my Battery light pops on. Oh great im thinking so i decided just to drive home and see from there. When i turn into my driveway (right) i notice the right blinker is blinking twice as fast as normal. (left side blinks normal.

As my alternator going out? (when i rev the motor, the dash doesnt get brighter or anything)
Im gonna stop by autozone and get the battery and alternator checked out.

Just wanna know if anyone has a clue before hand?

99GApunk
06-17-2004, 07:19 PM
happened right before my alternator died. also happened a while ago, battery was dead

sicc
06-17-2004, 08:06 PM
ya probably your alternator

rizer
06-17-2004, 09:20 PM
nooo, your not suppose to say that!

Whats the running price on a new one?

Time to look up alternator install threads :(

AaronGAGT
06-17-2004, 11:28 PM
When i turn into my driveway (right) i notice the right blinker is blinking twice as fast as normal. (left side blinks normal.

On almost all cars, a signal light will blink faster if one of the lights is out on that side.

sicc
06-17-2004, 11:41 PM
if you have a system, get the higher output one. i went through two alternators before getting mine.

rizer
06-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Well, went to autozone to have them test the alternator. He popped the engine, tested it and said a bearing on the rear of the alternator is going out. (keep in mind the car starts and runs semi fine) So i go to a alternator repair shop and he is on lunch. So as i am backing out, it stalls and wont start back up.
Whats the chances of breaking down in a alternator shop, heh.

So i wait till he gets back from lunch, tell him whats up and he said the back bearing cant be repaired and i need a new alternator. So I call my mom, ask to borrow her car and drop her off at work. Went to autozone and bought a duralast 105 amp w/ LT warranty for 149 bucks.

So here i am right now, i have a new alternator, a van, and my car broke down at a alternator shop who wont let me swap alternators out in his parking lot. Gotta find someone with a truck now :(

woot

sicc
06-18-2004, 01:16 PM
wtf? id just push ur ride out to the street and replace it there. why wont he let you replace it there? cuz you didnt buy it from him?.

rizer
06-18-2004, 02:08 PM
i dunno, insurance purposes or something?
Its off a really busy street so i cant push it on the road.

Waiting for my buddy to get off work at 5 so we can go pick it up.

Sir Cujo
06-18-2004, 06:21 PM
wtf? id just push ur ride out to the street and replace it there. why wont he let you replace it there? cuz you didnt buy it from him?.

Its all an insurance liability. If he gets hurt in this guys parking lot, then he is liable for anything medical. If the car drops on him and kills him, then the owner of the establishment is in big legal trouble.

Just do it at night after his shop closes, or push it elsewhere. If his shop is closed, you may get a visit from officer friendly though.

Just bring a car with jumper cables. Give the battery 10-15 minutes to charge up, and start the car while jumped. It should give you 5-10 minutes drive time before it drops below 9V and your car shuts off. NO LIGHTS, NO STEREO, NO BLOWER.. turn EVERYTHING off.. and drive conservatively. If you stall, just hook the jumpers back up and wait.. then go again :)

Good Luck.

rizer
06-19-2004, 12:25 AM
heh, well we got it to my house and ended up finding out the belt tension thingy for some reason (spring probally) locked up and i guess had too much tension, so thats why just the back bearing on the alternator went. Other wise the alternator was still putting out the right volts. So add another 39.99 for the tension part.
Its all good though, she's up and running again