flooring your car [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : flooring your car

BiHStL
06-18-2004, 03:12 AM
Just wondering, but is it normal when you floor your car from a stop, like of the line or while rolling slowly, while your flooring it, is it ok if the rpm's raise and then you feel the car jump a lil pushing you back in your seat after the rpm have gone up. The rpm's will rise in my car for like 1/2 to1 sec. then my car will accel. fast, pushing me back in my seat.

Is this normal, i think it is but im just making sure

GAGTSCTGuy
06-18-2004, 04:03 AM
Mine does, so did my old '99 Malibu LS

Ant
06-18-2004, 05:43 AM
if your rpms rise and then you move, it's probably because the wheels are spinning....then you move once they grip.

GAGTSCTGuy
06-18-2004, 05:57 AM
It happens to me when I'm already moving, and I really have to bury the pedal to do it, and the wheels don't slip, they just loose power briefly, and then 1/2 second later they get power again. And it when I do that, that I feel the greatest power from the car.

xxbackhillxx
06-18-2004, 06:40 AM
Just wondering, but is it normal when you floor your car from a stop, like of the line or while rolling slowly, while your flooring it, is it ok if the rpm's raise and then you feel the car jump a lil pushing you back in your seat after the rpm have gone up. The rpm's will rise in my car for like 1/2 to1 sec. then my car will accel. fast, pushing me back in my seat.

Is this normal, i think it is but im just making sure

hehe yea i love doin that it almost makes the car seem likes its actually fast. you roll from about 20 mph and smoke the pedal. i think its because the shift from 1-2 is kind of laggy and you have a ton of power going into second and thats why you take off ... im not sure if thats right, shifting into second at like 25-30 (i dunno the ratios)... and im not too sure its good for the tranny either ... but thats what warrantys are for

Silver02GT
06-18-2004, 09:56 AM
Mine seems like its lagging but once it hits 3,000 RPM or so it just pulls hard...prob just a lack of low end due to CAI and SLP.

xxbackhillxx
06-18-2004, 10:07 AM
i went out driving today and tried it again. it was more towards the 30-35 coasting speed. i floored it and the gauge popped all the way to 4500 rpm and then the car lurched forward like it actually had balls.

BiHStL
06-18-2004, 10:32 AM
thats exaclty how it is, im rolling then foor it, rpm's rise and then the car launches, i was next to a mustang gt the other day and i did it, had him looking a lil bit lol lol

weel i think this thing is normal so i wont worry about it

BiHStL
06-18-2004, 10:34 AM
ohh so flooring it might not be good for the transmission???

BiHStL
06-18-2004, 10:39 AM
hehe yea i love doin that it almost makes the car seem likes its actually fast. you roll from about 20 mph and smoke the pedal. i think its because the shift from 1-2 is kind of laggy and you have a ton of power going into second and thats why you take off ... im not sure if thats right, shifting into second at like 25-30 (i dunno the ratios)... and im not too sure its good for the tranny either ... but thats what warrantys are for

so it this s sign of a problem with the tranny when it launches like that or is it normal, i mean ever car seems to have this launch (that ive driven)

GAGTSCTGuy
06-18-2004, 11:10 AM
My car has almost no wear, and it still does this, so I don't think it is necessarily signs of a problem. But I also don't think it is good for the trans.

BiHStL
06-18-2004, 11:16 AM
yea my car is fine 48,000 miles, running just fine , maintained regularly, i think every body's gagt does this

so you all dont think its ok tor the trans... what could happen?

Craig99SE2
06-18-2004, 11:25 AM
It's the torque converter. As the engine is spooling up, so are the turbines inside the converter and when they reach a state of equilibrium between rotor and stator, full power is applied hence the lurch forward. Remember it is just a fluid coupling, no mechanical contact from carnk to trans.

This is typical of an automatic.

Personally, I think GM should have chosen a slightly lower stall speed for the Grand Am to avoid this problem. As far as stall speed is concerned, imagine how long the delay is with a Level 10 3600RPM stall converter! BTW, stall speed is the speed at which the turbines "stall" with respect to each other ... aka the point at which full power is applied form engine crank to transmission input shaft.

jer_stud56
06-18-2004, 11:25 AM
mine does the same thing and it's a 94. Of course a lil' bit less horsies but it'll do the same. I don't think its that hard on the tranny. Ok maybe if you do it everyday all day sure it'll eventually go bad but not every once in awhile. It actually keeps the car cleaner inside to floor it once in awhile other wise it'll lose its power. (and GA's don't have much)

Vintalage
06-18-2004, 11:26 AM
I can get my wheels to chip or spin easy if I hit the pedal 1/2 the way quick. Sucks.

Mine seems like its lagging but once it hits 3,000 RPM or so it just pulls hard...prob just a lack of low end due to CAI and SLP.

When I floor my car from a stop and I get no wheel spin (by easing the pedal in), the car starts to pull hard after 3000 RPMs then the boost drops off at around 5500 rpms. It's like with Honda engines with Vtec and how you feel the boost when it kicks in the higher RPMs. Is this suppose to happen? Transmission problem? :confused:

BiHStL
06-18-2004, 11:33 AM
cool so its normal, i have to admit, its pretty fun flooring it and getting this lauch, its does make all of our ga 's seem more pwerful

BTW, graig99se, good explination, i appreciate it, thanks
yeah jer stud, i have heard when you do floor it, it does clean it out a lil, keeps it running better, so i guess yuo really should treat the car every once in a while

tranceokido
06-18-2004, 11:51 AM
I am not trying to sound mean or anything..but this is really a simple concept, I don't even see the point for the thread. Your driving normally around 20-30mph so your in like 3rd gear at 30 maybe still in 2nd at 20 but not likely...you punch the gas, the car downshifts to 1st (2gears down) and you are at higher rpms making more power making the car pull you to the speed you want. The launch is just the tranny kicking down into the power zone...duh!

Craig99SE2
06-18-2004, 12:14 PM
I am not trying to sound mean or anything..but this is really a simple concept, I don't even see the point for the thread. Your driving normally around 20-30mph so your in like 3rd gear at 30 maybe still in 2nd at 20 but not likely...you punch the gas, the car downshifts to 1st (2gears down) and you are at higher rpms making more power making the car pull you to the speed you want. The launch is just the tranny kicking down into the power zone...duh!

Had you read the original post, he is talking about launching from a stop ... :banghead

tranceokido
06-18-2004, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=BiHStL]Just wondering, but is it normal when you floor your car from a stop, like of the line or while rolling slowly,

Notice how people started mentioning while they are driving and they floor it. Even it is from a standstill, that is still duh...the power is building up for a slight second before the power can be delievered.. :wave:

AznGA
06-18-2004, 02:02 PM
It's normal. I have driven 3 GM cars with V6 engines. It's just the way GM trannys are.

2002AmSE
06-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Take a look at a torque/hp curve for a Grand Am on a dyno chart, it matches what you feel. It's simple stuff, when an engine makes more power you will feel it, there is nothing wrong with that, engines should have more power the faster they go(up until a point,its all a matter of science).

A comment on flooring it from 30mph to get it in 1st gear: The engine is probably going about 1200-1500 at this speed, and when you floor it and the transmission shifts from that 1200rpm up to 3500-4500(or whatever it goes to), it will engage into that gear under wide open throttle. It is designed to shift at this speed, but remember that every shift is one less shift that the car will be able to do, and WOT shifts(when you are flooring it) are generally going to put more stress on the clutch packs, but its not going to destroy your transmission, but it could shorten it if you decide to do this frequently.
It won't be like slamming your car into gear while its stopped when youve got it floored(neutral dropping is very bad), and it isnt as bad as having your foot on the gas while you are going backwards 5mph and slide it into drive to get going. I know people who do those last two things very often, one said goodbye to his transmission after about a month of neutral dropping... There are obviously limits to what transmissions are designed to do.

ophidia
06-21-2004, 07:00 AM
On a slight side note, if you don't think these cars have much power, try a Neon-- makes the GA feel like a hot rod.

Craig99SE2
06-21-2004, 07:56 AM
... or a GTO for that matter! lol

2002AmSE
06-21-2004, 09:24 AM
yeah, neon's are SLOOOOOW :nono:

... or a GTO for that matter!
Are you saying the GTO is slow?? really now? or are you saying that the GTO makes the neon seem even slower?

Craig99SE2
06-21-2004, 11:21 AM
What do you think? :rolleyes:

Yes, the GTO is fast ... too bad it looks slow! ARGH! Hell, my Pontiac SE looks more sporty than the GTO! ... But anyhew ...