Extended Warranty Woes, experts please advise! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty Woes, experts please advise!

MIAaron
06-18-2004, 01:32 PM
I have GMAC's best extended warranty on my car. 100K miles, no deductible.

I just had my car in for some warranty work. I asked them to change my tranny fluid also. Well, the fluid was toast, they wouldn't change it. I asked him what I am supposed to do and he said he didn't know. He told me if I change the fluid that I will void the warranty. He then told me if I DON'T change the fluid and it starts going bad that my warranty will be voided. Catch 22 bull**** has me ****** off!!!

This past week my tranny has started slipping, WHAT DO I DO?!?!? This is what I bought the extended warranty for and now it looks like I'm going to get bent. Help.

2000GA
06-18-2004, 01:49 PM
bring it to and independent shop like a firestone or good year store and ask them to change it, and dont go back to the dealer you just went to for tranny work.

MIAaron
06-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Ya but if they notice the BRAND new gasket on the tranny I'm screwed....

2000GA
06-18-2004, 02:19 PM
theres no reason to have a new gasket put on, they flush it out through the transmission lines by the radiator with the machine they have.

Hexx
06-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Is there anything that says "If another shop works on your car, the warenty is voided"?

Is there another GM dealer around you that you could go to? I know here, there are two...within a half mile of each other.

Gimli
06-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Changing the transmission fluid is a normal maintenance activity. It cannot void your warranty as long as it is done following GM's procedures and standards (right filter, gasket, fluid, etc). NOT doing it can void the warranty. When in doubt always refer to your extended warranty contract.

Service people sometimes don't know their third leg from a hole in the ground, no offense to my service manager friends :)

brsexton
06-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Well my extended warranty states that the fluids must be changed when GM says it should. Well in the 03's it says change by 100,000 miles. So if the 00's are the same, then they can't void your warranty if you car don't have that many miles on it.

Brother's1999
06-19-2004, 07:15 AM
On the 2000 Grand Am, Pontiac dosne't recommend changing the transmission fluid at all for normal driving conditions. "They recommend a change at 50,000 miles if mainly driven under one of more of these conditions:
1) In heavy city traffic where the outside temp regularly reaches 90 degrees or higher.
2) In hilly or mountainous terrain
3) When doing frequent trailer towing
4) Uses such as found in Taxi, Police, or Delivery Service
If you do not use your vehicle under any of these conditions, the fluid and filter do not require changing."

Changing you fluid, should not effect your warranty. If you do elect to have it done, do not use the flush method, as it is possible to cause problems with the transmission in a small amount of cases.

Also any work done under the GM Protection Plan extended service contracts dosen't have to be done at a GM dealer.

Take sometime this weekend to read you owner's manual maintenace section, and the plan infomation you received. If you can't find copies, they are available on line.

Owners manual info by registering at http://www.mygmlink.com
GM Protection Plan at http://www.gmprotectionplan.com

action
06-22-2004, 06:44 AM
I'd go see another GM dealer

MIAaron
06-22-2004, 06:47 AM
Wow, I got 1 email notification and the thread is already going. Thx for all the help guys, I'll respond more when it's not so busy here at work.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :cheers: