Silverstars [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Silverstars

Gramp's GT
06-18-2004, 04:39 PM
About 6 months ago I put a pair of Silverstar in my my car. One has already burned out. Is this the normal life expetancy of these bulbs. I have a couple for my GA however I do not what to install them if they only last a few months!!

Azrael
06-18-2004, 06:41 PM
I think they're supposed to last much longer. Did you touch the glass on the bulbs you installed? The oil in your skin is known to dramatically decrease the lifespan of headlight bulbs.

Sleepwalkr
06-18-2004, 09:41 PM
I've had mine in for a year and a half and still going strong. If you didn't touch it with your bare hands..... it is possible that you just got a bad one, it does happen.... they make them all the same, but for some reason once in a while, you just get a "lemon".

Panacea
06-18-2004, 10:01 PM
I've had mine for over a year with no problems...

Even if I don't touch the bulb, I always clean them with rubbing alcohol just to be safe.

AznGA
06-18-2004, 10:08 PM
I installed SS headlights last September. Still lights up good. However, I have tried 2 pairs of SS fog bulbs, they all burnt out in 2 weeks.

snwman
06-18-2004, 10:16 PM
my silverstars are lasting much longer than the PIAA's. but yet ive had one burn out in a year, im starting to wonder if its just the 9007 model bulbs suck any brand.

GTLUVA
06-18-2004, 10:17 PM
I got the heads, fogs, and turn signals bulbs. My lights are all still working I had my heads and fogs since May 7th. My turn signals since June 7th. I was driving home tonight from my friends house out in the boonies. I tried putting on my brights and they seem really dark. I usually just drive with my heads and fogs on you can more light. :)

erimar77
06-18-2004, 10:52 PM
i called sylvania and they said the average life is about 6-8 months for DRL's and 1 yr for regular bulbs and fog lights.

if one burns out before the expected time, the lady on the phone said she would send me a replacement bulb. she said they'd do this up to 3 times before they'd recommend going back to stock bulbs.

i'm going to call regardless of when my bulbs burn out....basically she told me i get 3 free bulbs

the number is on the back of the bulb package if you want to call

Rogue9
06-18-2004, 11:56 PM
mine only last about half a year.
I think it's the DRL's.
If you buy them from Canadian tire they offer a guarantee of 1 year with original receipt and packaging.

Panacea
06-19-2004, 05:09 AM
I don't know why the DRL's are killing them so quickly. The silverstars are supposed to be designed to work with DRL's.

And lasting only a year regularly? That's pretty crappy, especially if the stockers can last 3-6 years...

Roush GT
06-19-2004, 05:21 AM
I've seen the silverstars in person IMHO they suck.. my piaa's are alot whiter and i've had them well over a year now

note: I don't have DRL's :slayer

snwman
06-19-2004, 04:45 PM
PIAA's are not ALOT they are a little brighter and my wallet also likes replacing silverstars comapred to piaa's