What is the difference between GT, SE, GT1, SE1, etc [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between GT, SE, GT1, SE1, etc

jondvd
06-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Could someone give me the scoop on all the different 99-04 ga's. I'm trying to figure out which one I have.
My specs:
Grand Am SE
3.4l automatic
2 door
Power sunroof
15" aluminum rims/tires
power windows, locks, keyless entry
a/c
antilock brakes: front discs, rear rotors
dual airbags
no ashtray?, but there is a cigarette lighter??
no leather
not sure about the stereo (just know it doesn't sound that great)

Alright, I know I am going to get a few responses like, "Do a search, it's already been posted." While that may be the case, I have just read almost 200 posts from the results of the search "Difference between Grand AM GT Grand AM SE." It took several hours and only found the difference between ga's and gp's. I learned a lot though so it was still worth it.

Please help. Thanks

:slayer

AznGA
06-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Do you have frame headrests?

jondvd
06-20-2004, 05:21 PM
No, but hopefully I will soon. I am in the process of buying an interior from a GT that has leather seats. I don't know anything about oval mirrors though. I have one that has 2 posts and a hole in between them.

02andahalfgt
06-20-2004, 09:43 PM
You have an SE if your headrests don't have a hole in the middle, and if you don't have four wheel disc brakes.

tranceokido
06-20-2004, 09:50 PM
Lets see....pop your hood...do you see a big black plastic thing right in the front that says "RAM AIR" by Pontiac? If so..you have a GT, SE does not have a RAM AIR. Do you have chrome rims? How many spokes does your rims have? I believe GT comes with 5spoke setup with the option of alloy finish or chrome finish..I have the 5 Spoke Chromtech rims. Um...are the air dams between the lights wide and short with nothing obstructing them so the "RAM AIR" can be fed with air? That would be a GT. THe SE has the same thing except they are taller and have a plastic honeycomb mold obstructing the opening. How many exhaust outlets do you have? 1 or 4..I believe the SE has only 1 or 2 while the GT has 4. Look at the pics below.

SE:
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/1999/Pontiac/3718/009066-T.jpg

GT:
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/1999/Pontiac/12680/009067-T.jpg

RAM AIR setup in the GT
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/1999/Pontiac/12680/009242-T.jpg

^^^^^^^^See how at the front of the engine bay there is that big black plastic thing that says RAM AIR by Pontiac..if you have that you have GT.

HEre is something simpiler...If your speedo reads 120..then you undoubtly have a SE...if the speedo reads 150, then enjoy your GT.

jondvd
06-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate all the input, though I don't think I was very clear. I actually know that I have an SE. I was just trying to figure out which SE I have and what the difference is between all the different models. I noticed that some people have SE1, SE2, GT1, etc. I just wanted to know what they were.
Trance, where are you in IL?

tranceokido
06-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate all the input, though I don't think I was very clear. I actually know that I have an SE. I was just trying to figure out which SE I have and what the difference is between all the different models. I noticed that some people have SE1, SE2, GT1, etc. I just wanted to know what they were.
Trance, where are you in IL?

Yes I am located in southern IL about 30mins east of St. Louis, MO. Well you have an SE. Do you have a power drivers seat? They are all power someway but there are 2 differen't kinds. One kind of 4-way seat just has the power height adjustment and that is all you can adjust by an electrical switch. The other is a 6-way power seat that you can adust the forward, backwards, seat height up and down, or the WHOLE seat not just the back of it tilt foward or backwards by a switch. Do you have steering wheel radio controls? Uh...lets see...what else? By the sounds of it...I think you have and SE2 Also..go check the size of your tires...if you have 16 inches wheels then most likely you have and SE2...if you have 15inch then its an SE1..

02andahalfgt
06-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Power sunroof

SE2.

AznGA
06-20-2004, 10:46 PM
He doesn't have GT like headrests. His is SE1. Sunroof is optional on SE1.

tranceokido
06-20-2004, 10:50 PM
He has keyless entry...that only came on SE2+ back in 99 unless he got a package. I say look for the steering wheel raido controls or the tire size to really find out.

jondvd
06-20-2004, 11:02 PM
I don't have steering wheel radio controls and I have 15" alloy rims (not for long thoguh). No power seats either, except height.

tranceokido
06-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Then I think you have an SE1. SE2 had power seat and radio wheel controls and 16inch wheels. You have a sunroof, cd player, and keyless entry because it all probably came in a package. So you have an SE1.

Grand_Damn
06-22-2004, 07:02 AM
i got the same thing minus the sunroof/moonroof. dont know what mines is too??? when i bought it, it was sold as a SE, but the emissions test, it got brought up as a SE1...

tranceokido
06-22-2004, 08:37 AM
If you guys post your VIN numbers I maybe be able to find out by using Carfax. I put mine in and it shows up Grand AM GT.

JonDVD-
I forgot you had the 3.4L. You have and SE2 because that was the only model SE that the 3.4L V6. I don't know how you don't have 16inch wheels or steering wheel radio controls?

Grand Damn-
I think you have and SE1 since you have the 2.4L with almost identical equipment to the SE2.

HotLikeFire
06-22-2004, 08:48 AM
How do you know if you have a GT or GT1 or GT2 (if that even exists, I don't think so though.)

HotLikeFire
06-22-2004, 08:49 AM
OH yea, and how do you know if you have chrome or alloy rims

Slim
06-22-2004, 08:52 AM
There's only GT and GT1.

The GT1 comes standard with steering wheel controls and leather power seats (Canadian GAs only). The only option was moonroof and chrometech rims (which came in a package).

The US GT1 came standard with steering wheel controls, power seats and moonroof. The only option was leather and chrometechs (again, a package).

The GT didn't have steering wheel controls or power seats standard although available as separate options.

Chrome rims = shiny. Alloy rims = dull silver.

HotLikeFire
06-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Thanks man. I must have a GT w/chrome rims. I have a power driver seat but only to lift the seat up and down. And no steering wheel radio controls. Bummer, I had those before, very convenient.

Slim
06-22-2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks man. I must have a GT w/chrome rims. I have a power driver seat but only to lift the seat up and down. And no steering wheel radio controls. Bummer, I had those before, very convenient.

Yeah, the chrome rims were an option on the GT as well. As far as the power seat, it only moves it up and down? That's really odd. I thought it was all manual or 6-way power.

HotLikeFire
06-22-2004, 09:15 AM
when I was polishing the rims last time (keep in mind I know nothing about 'rims') they didn't seem like heavy and dense like I assumed chrome rims would feel. They felt thin and light weight if you know what I mean. Thats why I didn't even know if they were rims.

Yea the seat is manual front to back and the back rest is manual. But like I said up and down is powered. I thought it was strange too.

Slim
06-22-2004, 09:19 AM
when I was polishing the rims last time (keep in mind I know nothing about 'rims') they didn't seem like heavy and dense like I assumed chrome rims would feel. They felt thin and light weight if you know what I mean. Thats why I didn't even know if they were rims.

Pontiac has always been pretty good at having light stock rims. The stock torqued chrometechs only weigh 16lbs each. That's damn light for a factory rim.

HotLikeFire
06-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Pontiac has always been pretty good at having light stock rims. The stock torqued chrometechs only weigh 16lbs each. That's damn light for a factory rim.

lol okay, just making sure they weren't PLASTIC. Which is what I assumed. That they were wheel covers because what do I know. They shine up too nicely to be plastic though.

Roush GT
06-22-2004, 09:36 AM
lol okay, just making sure they weren't PLASTIC. Which is what I assumed. That they were wheel covers because what do I know. They shine up too nicely to be plastic though.

actually its a plastic cover that was dipped in chrome.. underneath is the silver 5 spoke alloy wheel

HotLikeFire
06-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Oh really? So I don't have the chrome rims then?

Slim
06-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Yeah you do.... The chrome rims are an alloy rim with chrome dipped covers glued over top. They look like chrome but are much lighter and easier to keep clean.

HotLikeFire
06-22-2004, 09:48 AM
okay thanks for clarifying that. Im ignorant to this stuff.

tranceokido
06-22-2004, 09:52 AM
LookCLICK HERE (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?p=440152#post440152) ...are your rims shiny like those or they a little duller. Those are the chromtech rims. The other rims don't have the chrome on them and look just like metal.

HotLikeFire
06-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Yea mine look like the old Chrometechs. I do like the newer ones better though.

Slim
06-22-2004, 09:57 AM
I do like the newer ones better though.

:boogie: Yay, I'm not the only one. lol

tranceokido
06-22-2004, 10:03 AM
gonna be a lonely boat with just you 2 :violin LOL

Slim
06-22-2004, 10:04 AM
gonna be a lonely boat with just you 2 :violin LOL

Well, if you're going to be in a boat with a female, would you really want anyone else in there? lol

HotLikeFire
06-22-2004, 10:06 AM
They just seem to have more movement to them, look a little swifter er.. more swift? You get my point.

Slim
06-22-2004, 10:14 AM
They just seem to have more movement to them, look a little swifter er.. more swift? You get my point.

Exactly.... I like the swept look of the "blades".

Rich
06-22-2004, 10:16 AM
ok i read through the post but im still not sure what i have. i have a 2001 GASE with the 2.4. i dont have radio controls but i didnt think they had those on the SE. i have cruise control(if that matters) and then i just have the power seat that moves up and down. i have the 16 inch 15 spoke rims. yeah so SE1 or SE2?

AznGA
06-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Rich - Yours is probably SE1 because SE2 gets V6 standard.

I love my new torqued chromies. They look so nice when they spin. :)

Rich
06-22-2004, 11:00 AM
cool, i never knew. thanks.

XMBlackGT1
06-22-2004, 12:55 PM
I don't have steering wheel radio controls and I have 15" alloy rims (not for long thoguh). No power seats either, except height.

You have a Grand Am SE1. I had one exactly like yours.

erimar77
06-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Yes I am located in southern IL about 30mins east of St. Louis, MO. Well you have an SE. Do you have a power drivers seat? They are all power someway but there are 2 differen't kinds. One kind of 4-way seat just has the power height adjustment and that is all you can adjust by an electrical switch. The other is a 6-way power seat that you can adust the forward, backwards, seat height up and down, or the WHOLE seat not just the back of it tilt foward or backwards by a switch. Do you have steering wheel radio controls? Uh...lets see...what else? By the sounds of it...I think you have and SE2 Also..go check the size of your tires...if you have 16 inches wheels then most likely you have and SE2...if you have 15inch then its an SE1..

Where at in southern, il ? me too, i live in fairview heights

Doctor Ouchie
06-22-2004, 01:49 PM

All the OEM 5-spokes are from Enkei. So no worries about quality there.

Anybody know if any other GM cars use Enkei wheels?

tranceokido
06-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Where at in southern, il ? me too, i live in fairview heights

Dude I live like 25mins from fairview....10 if fly.