Want To Change Rear Shoes [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Want To Change Rear Shoes

Mowat_1
06-21-2004, 01:03 PM
I would like to change the rear shoes on 2000 GrandAM SE1, car has about 115k km (70k miles). Fronts have been done 4 times, it's time to do the rears. Not sure if you need to remove rear hub or not to do rear brake job. How do you take them off. Is there any special tools required. How long would it take to do or is it easier to take to repair shop. Does anyone have easy step by step instructions.

CoopGT
06-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Unless your very machanicaly inclined I would not recommend doing brake drums yourself . They can be a real PIA. If you do do it your self only take one side apart at a time . That way you have something to look at when you forget where one of the springs comes from or goes to. You can get away with using a long heavy duty screw driver & a couple differant size pairs of vise grips. But there are specialty tools out there that really don't cost to much that can make the job easier. You will also probably need a pretty good sized hammer just to get the drum off.

The big thing is to just take your time if you've never done it before.

I'm sure someone else will give you more info also.

2000GA
06-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Are you sure you need to do them, i have 85k miles on mine and they are at about 80% yet. And yes there are some special tools for the springs that you would need to purchase, along with NEW springs.

2002AmSE
06-21-2004, 07:16 PM
How hard is it to get the drum off, and is there any risks of damaging anything or having the drum not go back on easily after i take it off?
I'm just wondering because i thought i heard one of my friends having problems getting the drum back on after he took it off to check the shoes

2000GA
06-21-2004, 07:42 PM
shouldnt have any trouble as long as you dont touch the brake pedal

snwman
06-21-2004, 09:19 PM
yeah dont touch the pedal while its apart. I wouldnt be really worried about the rear drums on an SE, I took mine off and did a gt swap around 58,000 miles and they still had 75% left if not more. the drums do seem to do crap on these cars.

2002AmSE
06-21-2004, 09:50 PM
hmm, I seem to be getting some kind of really bad sounding grind from the back of mine and i was thinking maybe the back shoes were doing it because people think that it is where the sound comes from. It happens when ive got at least 1/2 pressure until the pedal is on the ground. If something were to be grinding back there, would I find it obvious that something was wrong by looking at them back there??

Oh, and there are these little thingies, brass colored if i remember right, under the lug nuts, they look like I don't need them, do I slice them off?

CoopGT
06-22-2004, 02:22 PM
The little brass colored things are just clips from the factory to hold the drums on during assembly . You don't really need them .

2002AmSE
06-23-2004, 11:44 AM
...So basically, what that means is that my drum hasn't been pulled off since the car was brand new?

action
06-23-2004, 12:34 PM
SOme people put them back on, i did for awhile after adjusting the brakes, now its a real pig to get the drums off anyway so I have no fear of them falling off

NjccBflo
06-23-2004, 02:35 PM
i've a question: where (part # maybe) can anyone find the e brake shoes?? mine have a small crack which leads to dust builup and scraping noises... everything is fine but its annoying as a mofo. autozone & pepboys dont have them anywhere round here. dealer only part?? thanks!