Summer oil recomendations [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Summer oil recomendations

MegaHyp
06-21-2004, 04:28 PM
i searched a little bit and didnt find the answer, but im sure its been brought up a million times. is it ok to use 10w-30 in the summer or should i stick to the 5w-30? in my neon i believe lots of people used 10w in the summer due to it being "thicker". and 5w in the winter.

mfuller
06-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Just stick with factory-recommended 5W-30.

2002AmSE
06-21-2004, 07:11 PM
The oil is going to be the same exact thickness when it hits normal engine temperatures whether its 0w-30, 5w-30, or 10w-30...

The only difference is the thickness when it is below those temperatures. Putting a thicker oil in there when its 90 degrees out wont matter because its going to end up being the same temperature in the end and it won't protect your engine any more because even in the winter the engine will pass through 90 degrees even though it is a short time.

So case in point, it doesn't really matter, but you might as well use 5w-30 because its what is recommended and it might just give you a little better gas mileage too because its at an optimal viscosity upon start.

GreatGraySkwid
06-22-2004, 09:33 AM
10W-30 is de facto standard in Texas, year round. You want anything else you're probably going to have to ask for it, special.

Never heard of anyone having a problem because of it, either.