Fog Lights that go off while driving. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fog Lights that go off while driving.

Grand_Damn
06-22-2004, 06:23 AM
i've asked this in different forums but didnt get a real (as is working) solution...

heres the deal:
at night - I get into the car, fog lights (stock) are working (indicator light is on...and went out and looked to insure its on), drive around, after a couple minutes/hours (time varies everytime) the fog lights go out (noticed by the indicator light and parked the car and looked from the outside)

to get it to work again, i just have to switch the fog light switch from "on" to "off" and back to "on" again (amount of time varies), then it'll work again....

so does anyone know why it turns off while i'm driving...or what needs to be changed/fixed...

any help is appreciated.

cmoore
06-22-2004, 06:54 AM
If you put on your high beams your fogs will go out, but can;t figure why you are having problems. Switch maybe?

Grand_Damn
06-22-2004, 07:16 AM
i hardly use my high beams, only when i go out in the boonies (country-style no lights roads)

it all happens while on the street with sorta enough street lights out there.

Slim
06-22-2004, 07:18 AM
I've had that happen a few times to my car. Mainly happens after it rains though. I think I'm getting a bit of water leaking into the passenger side fuse panel. I've been meaning to check the door seals for a while now.

swordfencer
06-22-2004, 08:31 AM
Could be the fog light relay is going bad and not holding the contact. You should be able to hear a click when the fogs are turned on, and if I remember right, when they are turned off. If you hear it click when they go out, then most likely the relay.

Grand_Damn
06-22-2004, 08:42 AM
i think when i switch it off, it clicks...but i'll check...

swordfencer
06-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Like I said, I cannot remember if mine click when I turn them off since I do not use them very often.

When they go out, listen for that click, if they do, then like I said, I am betting the relay is not holding contact.

Like cmoore said, you could also have a problem with the switch. Does it feel hot after the lights go out? You could have a dirty switch as well.