Heater Blowing Out Cold Air And Car Is Over Heating [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Heater Blowing Out Cold Air And Car Is Over Heating

trugt
06-22-2004, 08:14 AM
About a month ago i hit a parking curb and bent my radiator car over heated so i replaced it still over heating so i replaced the stat, and it is still over heating and my heater bloows out cold air then i noticed the antifreez was boiling out of the over fill hose so i replaced that still over heating. oh yea after i turn my car off a couple times the heater will blow out hot air and the car will cool down oh yea my fans are working fine and the and there is no water in my oil so i know the head gasket cant be blown. what can it be????????????????? :rage:

Slim
06-22-2004, 08:16 AM
When the rad and hoses were replaced, was the cooling system burped of all the air? If not, you could run into overheating situations. Also, if there was build-up in the rad it might have been dislodged when you hit the curb and is now plugging your heater core.

trugt
06-22-2004, 08:27 AM
where is the heater core and how do you burp it?

trugt
06-22-2004, 08:43 AM
You think it could be my water pump? how do you know when it is out??

Slim
06-22-2004, 08:47 AM
The heater core is located in the heater box with the blower motor. As far as burping the cooling system, there is a bleeder screw located somwhere (I don't remember where). You can also do it by filling the cooling system, start the car, leave the coolant bottle cap off, turn the heat on high and let the car warm up fully. This will allow the cooling system to properly fill. Shut the car off and top up the coolant bottle.

trugt
06-22-2004, 08:49 AM
yea we did do that im thinking its the water pump. theres realy nothing else to replace

Slim
06-22-2004, 08:54 AM
yea we did do that im thinking its the water pump. theres realy nothing else to replace

The water pump will usually leak if it's gone. Are you finding any coolant under your car when it's parked?

Regardless, the water pump for the 60 V6 is a pretty cheap part. Less than $30 last time I checked.

trugt
06-22-2004, 09:29 AM
yea its building so much preasure it is boiling out of the over fill hose thats why changed my cap but it didnt work

Slim
06-22-2004, 09:33 AM
yea its building so much preasure it is boiling out of the over fill hose thats why changed my cap but it didnt work

The cap is supposed to give under a given amount of pressure. (It's stated on the cap). It sounds like the system has air in it. Do the fill procedure again making sure that cap isn't on when the car is running. Also, make sure the heater control is all the way to the hot setting and your fan is running.

trugt
06-22-2004, 10:16 AM
how long do i do that for

Slim
06-22-2004, 10:18 AM
how long do i do that for

Till the car reaches operating temperature. Usually takes about 15 - 20 minutes.

trugt
06-22-2004, 10:31 AM
and what could it be if that doesnt work cuz i did that already.

brim
06-22-2004, 10:36 AM
ah, had similar problem, still do however

gonna drain and flush the coolant out, replace the thermostat

A while back my car was overheating, twice it went out the overflow

since then i either run at mid temp or just above, sometimes in traffic i have to turn the heater up to cool down the engine but no overflow since

trugt
06-22-2004, 10:40 AM
but even at over heating temp the heater blows out cold and i noticed that when it starts to blow out hot when i rev the engine to about 3krpm it blows out hotter.

brim
06-22-2004, 10:16 PM
but even at over heating temp the heater blows out cold and i noticed that when it starts to blow out hot when i rev the engine to about 3krpm it blows out hotter.

more than likely wrong since you just changed the thermostat but that's all I can think of

My heater blew cold air after my car ****ed itself, that's the only time i've had that problem

action
06-23-2004, 08:22 AM
YOu have air in your cooling system. It needs to be bled,

trugt
06-24-2004, 08:08 AM
i took all the air bubbles out and it is still overheating and blowing cold air out of the heater im gonna take it to my friends dad he works at a pontiac dealer out here ill let you guys know what it was. oh yea i also changed out the water pump.

shawnt1
06-24-2004, 09:09 AM
About a month ago i hit a parking curb and bent my radiator car over heated so i replaced it still over heating so i replaced the stat, and it is still over heating and my heater bloows out cold air then i noticed the antifreez was boiling out of the over fill hose so i replaced that still over heating. oh yea after i turn my car off a couple times the heater will blow out hot air and the car will cool down oh yea my fans are working fine and the and there is no water in my oil so i know the head gasket cant be blown. what can it be????????????????? :rage:

I had the same problem you did and did everything you did too. But I kept driving too and then Pop, the intake gasket finally blew out. The symtoms where identical as yours come to find out that exhaust gases where causing my coolant to boil out of overflow and cause the temp to rise high. I checked out the coolant fans too and replaced the thermostat and cooling fan sensor, but that didn't help. The whole job to fix my intake gasket was about $700 and the new style replacement gasket was installed. I have not had any more problems since then and the car works great. This all happened the day after X-mas.