starter trouble [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : starter trouble

spatulahunter
06-22-2004, 11:07 AM
hi, i am going to be driving my sisters 94 se quad 4 for the next couple weeks. She has informed me that her starter although replaced twice will occasionally not work. The strange thing is that with both starters she has had in it, the best way to fix the problem is to hit the starter on the side with a screwdriver. Does anyof this sound familiar to anyone? any idea how i can figure this out? thanks.

MJSilver00
06-22-2004, 04:17 PM
How long has she had the new starter in there? When you can tap on it to get it to start it usually means the solenoid is going (the solenoid is basically a relay that turns on the starter motor when you turn the key. It is attached to the starter so when it goes you have to replace the starter). No guarantees as to how long thats gonna last before it wont start at all though.

action
06-23-2004, 07:27 AM
Also check the neutral safety switch. Its the switch on the tranny that will only allow the starter to turn in Park or Neutral. If the car is finiky starting in park, stick it in neutral and see if it starts easier.

spatulahunter
06-24-2004, 05:25 AM
you are correct it is the solenoid, i just found this out yesterday. thanks for the suggestions guys

MJSilver00
06-24-2004, 06:03 AM
They used to put the solenoids on the firewall or somewhere else in the engine compartment. This way when they would go (and most of the time thats all the problem is) you could just replace em for $5 instead of having to buy and install a whole new fockin starter. I kind of wonder what the advantage was of changing that.