New Batt=Hard Start & Sloppy Shifts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New Batt=Hard Start & Sloppy Shifts

tranceokido
06-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Well before my battery stopped keeping its charge the car was fine, started up in just one second litterally and the trans shifted nice crisply and fast. Now I got a new battery and the car seems to have a hard time trying to start...it takes like 3-5 secs of holding the key in the start posistion now and when driving normally the trans seems to take a long ass time to shift. It feels like a whole differen't trans. Now I was thinking it is most likely the PCM which has to relearn everything and adjust itself accordingly right? This should all go away within a week or two? Oh..I don't think this has anything to do with it but I got a battery that has 630CCA and the stock is 600CCA. Tell me what ya think.

Azrael
06-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Taking several seconds to start after the battery has been diconnected is usually the pcm relearning but it should start fine after 2 or 3 starts. The higer CCA rating shouldn't bother anything as your starter and other electronics will only draw as many amps as they need provided the battery is capable of delivering it.

Panacea
06-22-2004, 09:04 PM
You have to remember we have the passlock system...

Are you just trying to start it right away or are you keeping the key in the "ON" position for 3-5 seconds so that the fuel line pressurizes before you start the car?

As for the Tranny acting weird, I'd say it's because the PCM has to relearn everything.

tranceokido
06-22-2004, 09:11 PM
Thanks...I totally thought it was the PCM relearning everything all over again. I mean that is the one thing that makes the most sense. And I acutally went and took the car to the movie store and it started just like before. Now I just want the damn tranny to hurry up because 2-3seconds to shift is not normal...feel like I am driving a stick without the stick and clutch.

LukeD
06-23-2004, 12:59 PM
I recently changed my battery but the total switch between batterys only took a couple mins so I dont think it erased anything, shifts and all seem the same.

brsexton
06-23-2004, 08:10 PM
My 99 Mazda done the samething when I changed the bat in it. I was told to let it sit and idle for 20 mins. I did and that cured the problem. The PCM in OBDII cars has to relearn its settings.