passlock?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : passlock??

tammikm
06-23-2004, 05:39 AM
has anyone got the passlock problem fixed by the dealer? my security light will flash sometimes and the car wont start, so I wait the 10 mins with the key in ON pos, then it will start, does this at randon, I have an aftermarket starter installed but it was in the car a year ago when i bought it, with no problems until today, what will fix this problem? a re-learn?

GAGT7386
06-23-2004, 08:05 AM
I have the same problem with my starter. If you take it to a dealer I am willing to bet thousands that they blame it on the aftermarket stuff. I had mine at my dealer four times for this problem. They could never get it to happen when it was there so they couldn't fix anything. Now it happens everynow and then ... pain in the *** but just something I have to deal with.

action
06-23-2004, 08:15 AM
Most likely a shady job on the install of the remote starter. 90% of the asshats installing those things don't take the time to do a proper splice and solder all connections. The result is problems like your having and worse (ie Fires). I'm willing to bet that if you start pullin apart slpices you'll see a real mess.

tammikm
06-23-2004, 08:49 AM
yep the dealer blamed it on the aftermarket remote starter. I just hope that it dont do this all the time, ive started it 3 times since it happen with no problems at all.

GAGT7386
06-23-2004, 08:51 AM
mine doesnt happen very often ... just kind of embarassing when it does sitting in your car for 10 min

RiChWhA
06-23-2004, 09:25 AM
mine did that once, i have a remote starter also. insteading of waiting, i just turned the key to the on position, and opened my fuse box on the driver's side and reset the light. started right up.

tammikm
06-23-2004, 11:18 AM
isnt that reset button in the fuse panel for the change oil light? or is it for the security light also?

RiChWhA
06-23-2004, 11:28 AM
i thought it was just for the change oil light, but i tried it anyways, and on came my car.

tammikm
09-20-2004, 06:16 AM
what do i need to do to fix this?? I hate waiting for 10 mins to start the car

coupe
09-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Ive had this problem for a year now. The light is always on now.

pontga00
09-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Ive had this problem for a year now. The light is always on now.

Same here, light is always on, but car starts up every single time now.

coupe
09-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Ever since it started staying on i havent had a problem starting it either.

KrustyTC
09-20-2004, 07:58 PM
Before getting my 2K GAGT I had a 98 GMC Jimmy. When I bought the truck it had a remote starter but the truck would sometimes not want to start, either with the key or remotely. Most of the time I would end up killing the battery trying to get it started. Once the battery was dead it would start right up when jumped.

I did a lot of research and found that when you have a remote starter installed on most GM vehicles you need to add a resistor to the remote relay. It has something to do with the Passlock chip in the ignition key. Unfortunately most aftermarket installers of remote starters skip this step.

I would go to a shop that installs remote starters and ask them if they install the resistor when they do GM cars. If they do, have them look at yours to see if one is installed. I'm sure for a fee they would be happy to put one in if it's not there. Of course if they look at you with a blank stare when you ask about a vehicle with Passlock, find another shop.

later,
KrustyTC

coupe
09-21-2004, 11:29 AM
Im gonna try that. That does make sense.