2.4 missing badly [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 missing badly

GM_MAN
06-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Hi all,

So I have a 2001 Grand Am SE 4 cyl. and it's miss firing pretty badly. When the car was still under warranty I had this same problem, so I took it to my dealer, and they said the problem was the plastic plate part that contains some wiring which feeds power to the spark plugs (I don't recall what this thing is called). I know that's a bad description of it, but for lack of the name of the part...
Anyway, it's the thing that connects the spark plugs to the rest of the ignition system in place of normal spark plug wires. They said that this thing went bad so they replaced it and the problem was solved.

Well the engine is now missing again, and I'm wondering if this same part has failed. If that's the case, what is causing this to happen? Could it be due to a malfunction in the coil outputting too much??

Any suggestions whould be wonderful. And what's the name of that part?
I know my description given above is pretty sad, but please work with me. :)

Thanks.

mr_eh
06-25-2004, 06:50 AM
the plastic thing is the ignition module, get it checked at a mech to use the computer so you can find out if there are misfires in all 4 cyl or just one, if its just one it might be a bad injector, its not an easy problem to fix cause it can be a lot of things...

GM_MAN
06-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Actually the ignition module is not what I'm talking about. Below is a pic of the ignition module.

What I'm talking about is what actually connects directly to the spark plugs.

GM_MAN
06-25-2004, 03:41 PM
As it turns out the problem was the spark plug gap. I decided to start there, and I found that all four plugs were out of gap, but 2 of them were WAY out. The spec is .050, two of them were right about .056. Regapping all the plugs fixed the problem.

The part I was referring to in my first post was the ignition coil housing. A pic of it is below.
Thanks for you input!