Pep Boys Advice? What! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Pep Boys Advice? What!

bngaddict
06-25-2004, 05:27 AM
Is there any truth to this...the bulb behind my SES and Check Engine light recently burned out...Pep Boys told me this could cause my car to have the rough idle that it has because it is part of the diagnostic process the car goes through?

What do you guys think?

action
06-25-2004, 05:49 AM
Possible, but those lights are illuminated by LED's and rarely burn out.

Sir Cujo
06-25-2004, 06:10 AM
Im not sure how a burned out light in the "courtesy lamp" circuit would have to do with a rough idle.

I would have a hard time believing that one.

tammikm
06-25-2004, 09:07 AM
i have a rough idle also, dealer says its normal, it vibrates the steering wheel a little off and onn when in drive and foot on the brake. no fix as of yet....

Craig99SE2
06-25-2004, 09:49 AM
Sounds like something Pep Boys finest would say! :rolleyes:

SES check is part of the diagnostics scan on Key IN, but it has no way of checking for a burnt out bulb and even if it did, it would in NO WAY whatsoever affect the PCM function!

nomojo
06-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Gotta agree, sounds like TOTAL BS to me.

I want a little bit of whatever Whomever came up with "no-light-bulb = rough idle"
is smoking :)

On a side note, i noticed someone said they were LED's behind the dash. Since I'm too lazy to fish through the 2000 page GM service manual, are you sure? I thought they were automotive grade light bulbs (you know, with a fillament and all :))

fo44rd
06-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Is there any truth to this...the bulb behind my SES and Check Engine light recently burned out...Pep Boys told me this could cause my car to have the rough idle that it has because it is part of the diagnostic process the car goes through?

What do you guys think?

This is a line of bull, because they cannot diagnos your problem. Pepgirls is as bad as a dealer for crying out loud. All they want is your money and do not want to fix it the correct way (the quick way is preferred by them).

Scooter
06-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Gotta agree, sounds like TOTAL BS to me.

I want a little bit of whatever Whomever came up with "no-light-bulb = rough idle"
is smoking :)

On a side note, i noticed someone said they were LED's behind the dash. Since I'm too lazy to fish through the 2000 page GM service manual, are you sure? I thought they were automotive grade light bulbs (you know, with a fillament and all :))

IIRC from installing my white gauges...the only filament bulbs are the ones that light up the needles and graduations on the gauges and the turn signal indicators. all the other idiot lights are LEDs.