Lowering the car, need some suggestions> [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the car, need some suggestions>

BadGT471
06-25-2004, 11:13 AM
Well, I don't know what to do right now. I currently have an 02 GAGT with 29k miles on it. The warranty is almost up, and I am trading the car in for a 2004 Subaru Imprezza WRX in September. I don't know about most of you, but I am very unsatisfied with the GAGT's stock handling ability. To me, it's pretty crappy... I was thinking about lowering it and having some fun with it this summer. Here comes my question, which springs should I go with so I get the cool lowered look without bottoming out on everything and killing the bottom of my bumper? Also, in doing so, will I mess up the drivetrain or anything? THe only reason I didnt do it two years ago was because I had dealerships telling me how it messes up the car. It throws the drive train off and everything. I don't remember the lengthy explanation, but it was something to that effect. Would lowering the car hurt me on a trade in/ selling it? What do you all recommend? I am assuming if I lowered it, the car would handle so much better? I currently have the front and rear strut bars on it too... Please someone let me know!

THanks,
Jeff

02andahalfgt
06-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Personally my Grand Am handles great.
But if you're going to lower it go Eibach, although some prefer H&R. If they're installed correctly I don't think you even need to adjust the camber (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). But even if you do have to, as long as the camber is right you shouldn't 'mess' anything up. Also look into new front and rear sway bars, they'll make a difference as well.

When it comes to trading it in, dealerships will rape you on any kind of mod. If anything is not stock they'll knock money off their offer to you claiming they may have to return the car to stock. Example, when I traded in my '00 SE the only things I had done to it was tint and rims (they were stock SE size, 15" chrome 5 stars), they knocked $500 off just because I didn't have the stock wheels. :rolleyes:

killerhound
06-26-2004, 04:07 PM
I'm dropped on H&Rs, and I LOVE my handling. Actually, today I had to swerve out of the way of an open manhole in a construction zone, and I felt no loss of control at all.

I didn't have to adjust my camber either. Still rides perfectly, and I have only bottomed out once going down too steep of a downgrade at too little of an angle.