Rotate your own tires = void warranty?! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rotate your own tires = void warranty?!

nomojo
06-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Hey guys

Just got my car back from the dealership... roughly 12,500 km's on it and *surprise*, the rotors were warped.

What may surprise you guys more is that I had to argue with them to get them to machine it under warranty, because I rotated my own tires.

Anyone else ever heard of this junk? As far as I'm concerned, they cant get away with that, especially with the track record of these rotors. I'm suspicious that GM has told the service managers to avoid machining them at all cost to save GM some cash for their major screwups... Anyone else have any thoughts?

(And before you say it, like the manager did, I know how to put wheels on, and I have a very nice and expensive professional torque wrench; they were bolted on in the star pattern (opposite bolt each) and torqued to the spec (100 lb/ft per lug))

They machined only one of the four, supposedly the other were within the "spec" (they wrote all the variance values down but im too lazy to type them in). The car's ALOT better now, but as far as im concerned they should have done the BOTH front ones (they did the front left, but not front right; the variance value on the front right was JUST within spec, and there is still a very very slight shaking in the steering wheel when braking at higher speeds).

To boot, I then had them remove a nail from my tire and fix it, and they told me they'd balance it. Either they didnt balance it, or their fancy 'automatic balancer' that puts the weights on for them made a boo boo, cuz theres a slight shimmy at 80km.

I should prolly find a new dealer, but theres only 3 in the city, and ive already dumped the one, so I'd be down to the last one... Too bad too, since this dealership's service department did AWESOME work when I had my '99.

Anyways. Just thought you guys might like to hear / comment on "rotating your own tires = void your wheel parts warranty" thing :)

Cheers.

AznGA
06-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Why did you even tell them you rotated tires?

nomojo
06-25-2004, 06:19 PM
Why did you even tell them you rotated tires?

*sigh*. I made the mistake when they called telling me i was due for an oil change / tire rotation. I said 'its OK, i've done it myself'.

Apparently the polite lady on the other end of the phone put "CUSTOMER WILL DO OWN LOF AND TIRE ROTATION" in big caps letters on my file.

yeesh.

AznGA
06-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Just go to another GM dealer. They will never know.

nomojo
06-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Just go to another GM dealer. They will never know.

Yeap, well its OK cuz like i said they ended up doing it anyways.. But what I dont get is how they can get away with saying junk like that :)

What if my tire blew and i had to put the spare on on the side of the road? Does that mean my warranty's pooched? They need to be reasonable :)

brsexton
06-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Ah...just do what everyone else has done and get some aftermarket rotors. I have a 03 Alero under warranty, but I just took the hit and replaced them myself. If you don't you will be going to the dealer every 3-6k to get your rotors serviced.

nomojo
06-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Ah...just do what everyone else has done and get some aftermarket rotors. I have a 03 Alero under warranty, but I just took the hit and replaced them myself. If you don't you will be going to the dealer every 3-6k to get your rotors serviced.

Yup, I will, and I'm going to (go in every 6000 km's when they're warped again). And I'll raise bloody hell every time I go in, too.

I dont know about you, but I'm not gonna roll over and have GM screw me. They know they have a problem, and they need to fix it. I paid a pretty penny for this thing and I didn't buy a car to have it broke all the time. If I wanted that, I'dve bought a used junker.

If enough people raise stink and get their rotors serviced every 6,000 km, the cost to GM of turning them would exceed the cost of repairing the root problem. If no one else will be the thorn in their side, then at least I will :)

2002AmSE
06-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Yeah, the dealer was giving you ****, but I think they should have just said that your rotors arent under warrenty or something, because according to the manuel I don't think they are. I don't know the details about rotors though.

The 100 ft/lbs is still something I don't understand at all. I crank them on until they don't move anymore because I tried 100 ft/lbs once and two of my lug nuts came loose(from different tires), so Ill never do that ever again, its just way too loose

nomojo
06-27-2004, 10:37 PM
Yeah, the dealer was giving you ****, but I think they should have just said that your rotors arent under warrenty or something, because according to the manuel I don't think they are. I don't know the details about rotors though.

The 100 ft/lbs is still something I don't understand at all. I crank them on until they don't move anymore because I tried 100 ft/lbs once and two of my lug nuts came loose(from different tires), so Ill never do that ever again, its just way too loose

I didnt think they were warrantyable either, but apparently even the brakes/tires/etc are warrantied for about 30,000km or so says the dealer.

As for 100 ft/lbs, thats pretty darn tight. My torque wrench is quite heavy duty & long, and i wouldnt want to torque 'em any more than that cuz at 100,, thats damn tight ;) Anyways, its what the GM service manual says, so i'll be doin it to that, 'specially with the dealer givin me a hard time.

cyaz.