Side Mirror replacement [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Side Mirror replacement

atc3434
06-25-2004, 09:55 PM
Some jerk broke my side mirror off my car while it was parked tonight. I have no idea how it happend, there are no marks on the mirror, my guess is that somebody ran into it real hard with the body and just tore the shizzle off... but it just hanging by the wiring now. :nono: Anyways... couple questions... first, how do I remove it? Is there a disconnect for the wiring in the switch inside the door? How do I get to it? Second... how much should I expect to have to pay for a new/used one to replace it? And how do I install? It'll be lighter out tomorrow, perhaps I can salvage this one... no broken glass... it still works (the electronics), but I think that the screws have all been ripped out. Love to find out who did this... :thumbsdow

Dan00GPGT
06-26-2004, 05:54 AM
You need to remove the door panel inside the car and then unplug the mirror in there. There should be three bolts holding it on.

AznGA
06-26-2004, 12:52 PM
I had to remove my door panels because the power mirrror harness was way down there. But I have heard of other people that didn't have to.

crazypontiac03
06-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Just take off the tweeter in your door, you can on screw your mirror that way, you dont always have to take the hole door panel off, just make sure u undo the door handle so it doesnt crack then try and pry it back just enough to get, down there to disconnect the mirror. if that doesnt work you may have to take the hole panel off, just becareful you dont break it strech the vinyl.

atc3434
06-26-2004, 03:04 PM
Well, I did some JB weld... maybe that will be good enough to hold it... its been curing for a while now... tape comes off in about an hour. Hopefully it'll work, JBweld usually works pretty good.

brim
06-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Well, I did some JB weld... maybe that will be good enough to hold it... its been curing for a while now... tape comes off in about an hour. Hopefully it'll work, JBweld usually works pretty good.

trust me i'm dealin with the same problem, as far as looks went i didn't care

i was using electrical tape which worked fine until the new weather, the old tape was wearing and i tried to replace it, but nope.

duct tape, masking tape, nada

bought some epoxy at home depot, it's been stuck on well since :rolleyes:

really is better to replace it in the long run but it's holding fine, same as you it works fine, I realized all that hold the mirror on is... well more or less an elastic inside it that keeps that tension and allows the mirror to bend slightly (normally)

once that's gone though, **** if i know how it could be replaced

go EPOXY!

snwman
06-26-2004, 11:04 PM
sorry but thats ghetto buy a new mirror. I have memories of the car down the street with the mirror all duct taped up.

brim
06-26-2004, 11:14 PM
even the duct tape i covered with electical tape!

heh

it blended well enough

go epoxy or get the new mirror, I really don't care for a new mirror right now, epoxy holds fine

atc3434
06-27-2004, 11:17 AM
Epoxy is working good. Looks like a good fix for now.

brim
06-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Epoxy is working good. Looks like a good fix for now.

good to hear man :jackson

radiogirl
06-28-2004, 10:27 PM
My husband rolled the garbage cans out one night and knocked my driver's side mirror off!
He brought the cans in on the passenger's side and knocked the other mirror off!
Ask me if he's been lonely!
Getting back to the mirrors, we tried every knid of adhesive, but it's been so hot here nothing held.
We ended up having to replace them.
It cost $345. at a dealership!
My brother installed them for me.
:violin

AznGA
06-28-2004, 10:37 PM
$345 for one mirror?????

brim
06-28-2004, 10:47 PM
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPE!

$30-50 junkyard special

Mike Jung
06-29-2004, 08:05 PM
...It cost $345. at a dealership!...
'99-01 SE Side View Mirrors (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1058) costs before painting them (if you decide to get them painted)

I paided $72.06Cdn (in Dec '99) for my passenger power side view mirror (unpainted) at a dealer.