horsepower gains-exhaust [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : horsepower gains-exhaust

GTspeed
10-26-2002, 06:25 PM
Hey, i have a question. I searched but nothing really helpful came up. I wanna get an exhaust for christmas, either SLP or Borla. I wanna know which has the most horsepower gains, and what each sounds like. Im looking for something like a v-8 at idle, like a camaro or trans am sound, but nothing really loud and annoying. Can anyone help me here?

GroovyGT
10-26-2002, 07:54 PM
From what I've read here, and SLP sounds bad-ass at idle, but gets really loud when you hit the gas. A lot of people like it, but it IS loud, maybe not the right one? HP gains...they say up to 12, but owners say realistically 5. (I could be wrong, I'm jst going on what I"ve read here..)

Borla on the other hand, is only slightly louder than stock at idle, but has a nice growl to it during acceleration. HP gains are the best (from what I've heard), probably about 10-12 HP with no other mods.

Exhaust is a topic that is talked about A LOT on this forum, and there are tons of threads on SLP, Borla, Magnaflow, Flowmaster...., the sound they make and the HP gains. Let the search button be your friend! It's not hard to find soundclips...I myself have heard lots. Searching will keep the Search Button Nazis of your butt about stuff too. Have fun!

UNCTYPE-S
10-26-2002, 08:05 PM
i know you want slp or borla but my magnaflow's sound like a camaro at idle. i love em..

nfsga
10-26-2002, 08:20 PM
There's probably at most a 2hp difference between slp and borla. There really aren't any dyno plots to look at to compare though :(

videoman
10-26-2002, 08:32 PM
I have a borla and I noticed a big diffrence, plus the fact its covered for life. Million mile warranty ect.

UNCTYPE-S
10-26-2002, 08:39 PM
just do a search for sound clips of both. i know they have been recently posted up not too long ago so you shouldnt have nay problems finding them.

BorlAlero
10-26-2002, 08:45 PM
Well man, like the name says. I gotta side with Borla. pfyc has a darn good price on it. In fact, it's the best you'll find. My car's just starting to break in with it and it's the attitude the Alero lacked. I'm looking at other mods but the Borla is still by far my fav. At cold idle and acceleration it sounds exactly like what it is: two cylinders shy of a vette. And otherwise, while I'd like to scare off the ricies with my bark, I make them cry with my bite ;). If you want a sound clip just reply and I will make one and upload it. Peace inside.

Alero- Nyt Rydr

GTspeed
10-26-2002, 08:49 PM
Sure, i would love to hear it.

BorlAlero
10-26-2002, 09:07 PM
I'll have it up ASAP. I'll try to get some idle revving and some drive by.

GroovyGT
10-27-2002, 09:49 AM
BorlAlero, once the car's warmed up, how does it sound at idle? Any louder than stock? I know the sound during acceleration is probably what I'm looking for, but I also want some decent sound at idle.

BMOBYLE
10-27-2002, 10:39 AM
I can vouch too. I got the Borla and love it!! Exhaust is absolutley thee MOD that's the most fun. I had heard the slp and that sounds great too but too me it sounds like you want the BORLA.
I never heard the clip on this site or anywhere before I bought it!
It sounds all around better than stock cold hot whatever.
It does dissapear at like 3k rpms but then my CAI takes over:thumbs:

EXHAUST DATABASE>search button

BorlAlero
10-27-2002, 05:11 PM
As far as warm idle goes nah there really isn't that much of a difference. You'd have to be real real tuned into it. And yeah I've noticed that it drops out at 3k (I have the K&N too :cool: ). I have noticed in highway driving that if you goose it in a lane change it picks back up with a sweet note at around 3500. Overall though, it sounds the best at low. It all depends on what you're going for.

SpyhunteR
10-27-2002, 05:22 PM
I think there needs to be an exhaust shootout to see which one is the king..

BorlAlero
10-27-2002, 05:30 PM
that would be great aside from the fact that other than exhaust, intake, strut braces, and roll bars my car hasn't got diddly-sh**. I'm working on improvements. Exhaust is a personal choice though. For me, I was limited. It just happened that Borla was the best choice. From what I can gather seems like the GT guys have a choice of at least four different systems. And no matter what the results ended up as, you'd always have some people that wouldn't care anyway. All there is to do is answer the q's as they come.

naich
10-27-2002, 08:22 PM
www.aleromod.net/4.wav to hear my SLP!

GTspeed
10-27-2002, 08:39 PM
sounds nice!! seems what im looking for, but i wish someone had a clip of the borla so i could compare. i searched and searched but couldnt find nothin. but your SLP sounds what im lookin for. i just hear borla gives a little better horsepower, and that's another thing im lookin for. thanks for the clip, i think as of now, im leaning a lil toward SLP for the price and the sound. and anyone with a borla clip, i would love to hear that too. thanks again.

iceman
10-27-2002, 08:40 PM
http://iceman.draepi.org/icemansexhaust2.mpg for a slp vid clip

aleroboy
10-27-2002, 10:50 PM
Help us get corsa made and buy that. On average they are competitively priced with borla (usually cheaper) and they are sooo sweet. performance should be the smae or a little better. we are trying for 2.5" to have it match headers an highflow cats better.
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3587

GroovyGT
10-28-2002, 08:44 AM
Would HP gains be comparable to SLP or Borla if you had cat back SS Mandrel bent piping with a flowmaster 80 series? A friend of mine has that on his car and it's exactly what I'm looking for as far as sound, but I won't do it if I won't get much for performance gains.

Macleod52
10-28-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by GroovyGT
Would HP gains be comparable to SLP or Borla if you had cat back SS Mandrel bent piping with a flowmaster 80 series? A friend of mine has that on his car and it's exactly what I'm looking for as far as sound, but I won't do it if I won't get much for performance gains.

Well unless you can get a specially made Stainless Steel pipe I wouldnt' recommend it. Getting that pipe will cost a lot of $$$ and difficult to obtain. It would be worth your while to go with an SLP or Borla in the long run.

As for the SLP vs. Borla, I don't find my SLP to be loud at all. I also find that the audio/video clip sound different than what mine sounds like. Maybe they have more miles on theirs than I do or maybe are still using the Resonators. As for performance gains the SLP and Borla are both rated at giving you 10-12hp. Realistically you won't see that much. But, they are both pretty much equal, except for the sound.

GroovyGT
10-28-2002, 11:36 PM
He got his SS piping custom bent at a place nearby for cheap. I don't remember exact dollar amounts, but I know his muffler, piping and install cost a lot less than Borla and SLP. Granted, his piping wasn't mandrel bent, but if I could find a place that'll do it for a decent price, would you recommend it then? I know in the long run SS is the way to go. I just loved the sound of his muffler! Some other guy just posted a thread about his, you've probably seen it. Lower than SLP, louder than Borla....sounds good to me. I won't do anything until I ask around and get a ball-park dollar figure for the set up I want though.

X-ception
10-29-2002, 07:54 AM

actually, not sure if its true or not but i have heard that if your lookin for perf dont plan on getting flowmasters. I think they sound good but according to some ppl they dont flow as well as other mufflers.

GroovyGT
10-29-2002, 08:38 AM
I guess I'm going to have to do some research on that. I guess before he got his flowmaster, he looked all over online to find which muffler was the best overall, and from what he saw it was Flowmaster, followed VERY closely by Borla, then Dynomax...I think he listed a couple other ones too.
Granted, I think he was just talking about the muffler, not a cat-back system, so maybe that'll make the difference right there.
Has anyone heard first hand the flowmaster AND slp? I wonder which is louder?
I guess if anyone with can back up X-ceptions claim that flowmasters aren't really flowin' all that well, I'll probably go with SLP. (Not that I don't believe you, I'm just looking for first hand experience!)

Warthog
10-30-2002, 11:26 AM
Granted, his piping wasn't mandrel bent

Then why would he replace the piping at all?

GroovyGT
10-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Because he went from the stock crap thats there to SS piping. May not have it mandrel bent, but it won't rust either.

Warthog
10-30-2002, 11:32 AM
i just don't see the point of getting SS piping and NOT having it mandrel bent...seems like a big waste of money

GroovyGT
10-30-2002, 11:49 AM
Yeah I know, that's what I thought when he told me. I'll have mine mandrel bent when I get an exhaust. I still don't know what I'm getting though. It's a toss up between flowmaster and SLP. I wanted something a little lower than SLP, but if what that guy said is true about flowmaster (not the best flowing muffler), then I'll go with SLP. I'm still looking for an answer to that.

unisia240
11-01-2002, 09:15 PM
for sure its a 10% gain.:thumbs:

Warthog
11-01-2002, 09:38 PM
go with the magnaflows

PACE
11-06-2002, 01:40 PM
In my opinion everything behind the cat is for sound only....removing the stock muffler will open it up a bit performance wise...but since the cat and headers are the most restrictive parts of the stock set-up, anything behind it is just for sound.....I have the Flowmaster and it ROCKS....but my next car will be straight piped....why waste the money on expensive mufflers and piping when you can just straight pipe it for the best sound and flow????:confused:

Craig99SE2
11-06-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by ECAP
In my opinion everything behind the cat is for sound only....removing the stock muffler will open it up a bit performance wise...but since the cat and headers are the most restrictive parts of the stock set-up, anything behind it is just for sound.....I have the Flowmaster and it ROCKS....but my next car will be straight piped....why waste the money on expensive mufflers and piping when you can just straight pipe it for the best sound and flow????:confused:

Why you ask ... one word ... DA POLEECE!

PACE
11-06-2002, 04:05 PM
thats 2 words:)

I have never had the cops say anything to me. Michigan cops are cool.....well.....i take that back....but better than other places at least

Craig99SE2
11-07-2002, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by ECAP
thats 2 words:)

I have never had the cops say anything to me. Michigan cops are cool.....well.....i take that back....but better than other places at least

As long as you stay out of Southfield!!!

getTwisted
11-07-2002, 09:13 AM
I have a ractive muffler, it sounds great, but I'm gettin ready to hack it off tommorow, I hope the cops don't bother me!! I'm selling my ractive to get money for a borla.............can't wait!!