Steering [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Steering

suprgubr
06-27-2004, 02:33 PM
Hey guys, I used to have a 2000 GA SE, I got rid of it and bought a 2003 GA GT. Anyways, I remember test driving a used 2002 GA GT with 12,000 miles on it, and it had pretty loose steering. But, my 2003 doesn't really have the same level of loose that the 2002 had. And my friend, who has an 02 GA GT has the same loose steering as the one that I test drove. My 03 was bought at 10 miles and now has 5000 on it. Is this normal for 03's to have stiffer steering? or is there something wrong with my car?

AznGA
06-27-2004, 04:44 PM
It is normal. I have an 02 and I noticed my friend's 03 has stiffer steering. Must be something that GM changed.

suprgubr
06-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Kind of sucks, I like the other steering :(

suprgubr
06-27-2004, 06:14 PM
That's interesting, i just looked online at pontiac, I don't see speed sensitive steering listed anywhere for the 04's. So maybe my 03 doesn't have it. Does anyone know if/when they stopped doing speed sensitive steering?

2002_AWhiteGT1
06-27-2004, 08:54 PM
Pontiac changed the level of power steering assist in late 2002 when it went from the GA & GP stlye twin-post mirrors to the Alero ones. In addition, other changes for late 2002 onward include: no cargo net in the trunk, no glove box lock, no driver adjustable lumbar support, and (in most cases) no green cruise light in the instrument cluster. Although I happen to like the stiffer steering, the other changes are just plain cheap.

suprgubr
06-27-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks, I noticed when I first bought my car, my 2000 had the cruise light and I first wondered "is this thing working?" When I tried to use the cruise.

nomojo
06-27-2004, 10:47 PM
I believe the steering was fixed in the '03's and up. The 02's and back had problems with the rack & pinion, they were packed with the wrong grease at the factory and would wear out prematurely, causing the "loose" feeling. In addition to being loose, the rack clunked when you rocked the wheel back and forth. (There was actually a TSB on this somewhere, I don't know what # is is, but the Alero had the same problem)

The 03 doesnt seem to have that problem. I had the rack replaced once on my 99 for this, and it came back 2000 km's later.

At least they fixed SOMETHING right.

EDIT: they dont list the variable effort steering anymore, but as far as I can tell its still there. If you drive slow, the wheel turns easily. If you drive highway speeds, the wheel is tighter. This is done to prevent oversteering on the highway, etc

suprgubr
06-28-2004, 06:35 PM
Yeah, it just doesn't seem as obvious to me. I, personally, prefer steering that's pretty loose. Oh well. Not much I can do I guess.

-Wild Joker-
07-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Hey nomojo, do you know how to tighten the steering when this happens?

PhantomLover007
03-31-2009, 10:59 PM
I have been noticing my steering seemed really loose and that I could turn it w/ my pinky. If I swerve back and forth, it doesn't feel sloppy because the car reacts well and the faster I go the stiffer it gets. I'm glad to see that it's normal. :) I was worrying that the front end was starting to go or the PS was getting shot.

Yes! I bumped a nearly 5y/o thread... :-P

AaronGTR
04-01-2009, 03:40 PM
EDIT: they dont list the variable effort steering anymore, but as far as I can tell its still there. If you drive slow, the wheel turns easily. If you drive highway speeds, the wheel is tighter. This is done to prevent oversteering on the highway, etc

No, they did actually get rid of the variable assist. They have two different part numbers for earlier and later model power steering pumps for grand ams. One with the valve and one without. I don't remember the exact cut off date but I think it was change in '03 or '04.