Remote trunk lockout [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Remote trunk lockout

XMBlackGT1
06-27-2004, 02:41 PM
Odd question here. I have 2 2003 GAGT's- one has the remote trunk lockout (orange switch on the trunk latch in the trunk that says on off), and the other one doesn't. I thought all Grand Am's had that feature- is it possible mine was just missed?

GTLUVA
06-27-2004, 02:51 PM
I just looked in my trunk and I don't have one. I have some other weird lock release in my trunk but I think the dealer installed the piece when they ripped apart my car last August to install the security system :)

eren00gt
06-27-2004, 03:25 PM
GM has this way of building cars in which if they run out of a part that isn't a safety or driveability issue then they just send it on its way without it. Ask those on here who don't have trunk nets or the cruise light on the dash.

AznGA
06-27-2004, 03:42 PM
Another feature dropped by GM. I never knew about this. My 02 has it. I guess 02 is the last of the good ones.

XMBlackGT1
06-27-2004, 04:58 PM
Another feature dropped by GM. I never knew about this. My 02 has it. I guess 02 is the last of the good ones.

Well, what surprises me is that one of my 2003's has it, and the other doesnt. I guess I will be doin some parts switching before I (HOPEFULLY) get rid of the car. Wonder how difficult thats gonna be to do.

Y2KGA
06-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Well, what surprises me is that one of my 2003's has it, and the other doesnt. I guess I will be doin some parts switching before I (HOPEFULLY) get rid of the car. Wonder how difficult thats gonna be to do.

Check the build dates, the one without it was probably built later in the model year.

XMBlackGT1
06-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Check the build dates, the one without it was probably built later in the model year.

You're right. The one with it was built sometime in 2002, and the one without was built in 03. I'm gonna switch them around, before the one is bought back by the dealership (hopefully). Hopefully its a fairly easy switch.

Vintalage
06-27-2004, 08:06 PM
You're right. The one with it was built sometime in 2002, and the one without was built in 03. I'm gonna switch them around, before the one is bought back by the dealership (hopefully). Hopefully its a fairly easy switch.

Gm just cutting away at the Grand am. If one were to tally up how many things GM has cut from the GA, it would be a long list.

zootelevision
06-27-2004, 08:25 PM
GM has this way of building cars in which if they run out of a part that isn't a safety or driveability issue then they just send it on its way without it. Ask those on here who don't have trunk nets or the cruise light on the dash.

Cheap b@stards is all I have to say! My 01 GAGT had a trunk lock-out, and I was suprised and later ticked off at how many amenities, including the trunk lock-out, were dropped when I purchased my 04 GAGT. I actually wrote a letter to Pontiac to voice my opinion, and spoke to a customer service rep regarding the options Pontiac dropped. She acted concerned about my complaints, but we both knew Pontiac would do nothing about them. But I know this isn't the thread to vent in.

Does your GA have a trunk release on the key fob? This was the ONLY good thing they added to the 03-04 models. If you can't switch the lock-out over, and you have the key fob, just pull off the door panel and disconnect the cable that goes to the trunk release button. Then you can just use your key fob, and you don't need a lock-out switch.

Vintalage
06-27-2004, 08:29 PM
Does your GA have a trunk release on the key fob? This was the ONLY good thing they added to the 03-04 models. If you can't switch the lock-out over, and you have the key fob, just pull off the door panel and disconnect the cable that goes to the trunk release button. Then you can just use your key fob, and you don't need a lock-out switch.

All model year grand ams have a trunk release on the key fob.

AznGA
06-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Isn't ABS optional on SE now? This one has to be the biggest ripoff.

EBlend
06-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Isn't ABS optional on SE now? This one has to be the biggest ripoff.

sure is...seems like when other companies are moving ahead...gm is moving backwords...kinda sad....its like..what should i get...a new or a used grand am....USED cuz it actually has functions!

from what i have heard on here, things that my ga has vs things that some ppl say they don't have anymore
Here is what i got and some don't
1.Trunk Lockout
2.Glove Box Key Lock
3.Floor lights up front
4. side ribs (hehe, new ga don't have em because of styling they say...i bet its not because of that)
5. Cruiz Light

There are prolly others but thats what i noticed/remember

Y2KGA
06-28-2004, 05:57 AM

If you think about it the lockout switch is only useful to disable the release on the key fob. What is the point of preventing someone from opening your trunk using the door button? GA's only use one key. If you can get into the car to access the door button you probably have the key which means you can get into the trunk anyway. This is probably the logic behind the removal of the glove box lock. Once GM moved to a one key system it doesn't really make sense anymore, unless they start giving out valet keys that only work the door and the ignition.

Now regarding the removal of the cruise light and floor lights, thats just being cheap. I also heard that the low oil indicator was removed too.

MJSilver00
06-28-2004, 07:37 AM
I think they do give you a valet key (at least on the 2000s). Ill have to check but I think in the little plastic book my manual came in there is a valet key.

Y2KGA
06-28-2004, 09:41 AM
I think they do give you a valet key (at least on the 2000s). Ill have to check but I think in the little plastic book my manual came in there is a valet key.

I never got a valet key for my 2000 SE although it mentions it in the owners manual. I once called pontiac to ask them about it and they said there was no valet key for it.

MJSilver00
06-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Did you call the dealer or Pontiac customer service? Sometimes when you get someone on the phone (at any company) that isnt sure the easiest answer is no. It gets you off the phone quicker so they dont actually have to work today.

Y2KGA
06-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Did you call the dealer or Pontiac customer service? Sometimes when you get someone on the phone (at any company) that isnt sure the easiest answer is no. It gets you off the phone quicker so they dont actually have to work today.

I had called pontiac customer care. This was over 2 years ago and they kept me on hold for a while when they looked. I think the book was referring to an emergency lockout key that used to be given to customers that operated the trunk and door. This was back when the cars still used a separate door and ignition key. I wasnt expecting to get one but wanted to find out anyway.

BTW I am the original owner of the car. I've actually owned two 2000 GA's (one was totalled).

xxbackhillxx
06-28-2004, 11:35 AM
you guys forgot the badges on the doors and the ghey mirrors

nomojo
06-28-2004, 03:06 PM
If you think about it the lockout switch is only useful to disable the release on the key fob. What is the point of preventing someone from opening your trunk using the door button? GA's only use one key. If you can get into the car to access the door button you probably have the key which means you can get into the trunk anyway. .....

Simple. If you break into the door on my car, that takes say 30 seconds.

You get into my car, and realize "hmm. theres nothing useful here. wonder about the trunk"..

Guess what? Can't get into the trunk, because the button is disabled.

So what would the theif have to do? Turn around and then proceed to break into my trunk, too.

When a thief is breaking into something, they have a limited amount of time to do so, and a limited number of things they can do without drawing attention to themselves. Most thieves wouldnt risk having to break into the same car twice, as it would just take too long.

In short, its stupid that they took the lock out feature away. However, If you want it back, all is not lost: you can pull one of the wires from the harness in the back; if you unplug the entire harness you lose your trunk light.

As for me, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I will NEVER, NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER buy another GM product. < safety clause > Unless of course theres some unforseeable future event that means i have to < /safety clause >

"GM; what overpriced piece of junk can we cut features from today?"