warranty question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : warranty question

grandiam
06-27-2004, 09:50 PM
I am taking my car to the dealer one last time before my extended warranty goes out. Can anyone suggest items which I should have them look at, that I might be forgetting? I have 97000 miles on the car. The other question I wanted to ask is if there is any other aftermarket ext warr companies besides 1 source direct that is good? I wanted to know before I bought a warr through them. I did a search and came up with nothing on the subject. Thanks :jackson

AznGA
06-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Definitely have them look at lower intake gasket.

Mike Jung
06-27-2004, 10:10 PM
^ what he said; pressure test to see if there are any leaks, like the L.I.M. gaskets.

Make sure the water pump is not going.

Check the strength of the alternator.

I mention the water pump & alternator because I heard the GM's units go bad sooner at higher mileage. I had mine go bad.

Check the passenger side axle shaft seal/sleeve is in good shape.
My dad told me every GM front wheel drive he has driven has had to have that changed sometime or another. I had mine changed once already. My buddy's '98 Sunfire GT had to have that changed also.

Jagey
06-27-2004, 10:49 PM
i've always wondered, how the HELL do you know if you have a l.i.m. leak in the first place? Is there supposed to be a puddle of some sort?

AznGA
06-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Well it can leak internally or externally. If it leaks internally, it can get mixed up with engine oil and get milky. If it's externally you can see the leak on the heads.

nomojo
06-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Well it can leak internally or externally. If it leaks internally, it can get mixed up with engine oil and get milky. If it's externally you can see the leak on the heads.

I agree. Except, I'd say you can have both. On my 99 I had both a small amount of oil leaking on the left side of the block (when facing) & brown particulate residue on the filler cap of my coolant system.

I complained from the oil on the block; the actually told me the residue on the coolant fill cap was normal; only until i was reading around here did I learn the "truth", although i thought it suspiscious in the first place.

Yadda Yadda they said the whole thing wasnt much to worry about (hahahahahahaahahahah riiight) but since the extended warranty would fix it, might as well get 'er done.

There are aftermarket warranty suppliers, but I only know of a canadian one. I'm sure there's lots in the US.

cheers.

Jagey
06-28-2004, 02:59 PM

so where the heck are the heads. and i'm guessing that means there wouldn't be a puddle on the ground.