lightning stikes my ga [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : lightning stikes my ga

ttreakle1
06-29-2004, 03:58 AM
My 2ooo gagt1 is currently at the dealership getting repaired after lightning struck it on the evening of the 10th of june ,the stereo, keyless entry, antilock brake system, alternator,dash panel,moduels,body control computers have been replaced and still not done yet but almost i have to wait for a new mirror to be installed as the lightning left an etched image of lighting on the glass surface,so far the bill is 4000.00 plus and thankfully State Farm is picking tab. anyone ever hear of anything like this at all? and also could I be looking at problems with cars electronics down the road?

tenspeed
06-29-2004, 04:46 AM
Lightning is some funny stuff. It can strike anywhere but this is the first I've heard of a car strike. Everyone thinks that they are safe in a car because of the rubber tires.

I would expect electronic problems in the future. Don't sign off that the car is fixed. Everything took a hit and and you won't know what is effected until it breaks. It may take years to show up and the insurance will not cover it.

I would keep the etched mirror if it looks cool.

Brother's1999
06-29-2004, 05:56 AM
Make sure the Air Bag system is checked out. And have it road tested including a spin on the highway.

brsexton
06-29-2004, 06:19 AM
That is very strange. I would have pushed my insurance company to total it.

rizer
06-29-2004, 09:26 AM
Ditto, double check on everything.

At first i was thinking you meant a ford lightning hit your car :)

ttreakle1
06-29-2004, 09:58 AM
well my insurance company left the claim openended for the dealership to so whatever is needed and the dealership wants to do extensive road tests on the car before relasing it to me ,I have been pushing them to get it done but I suppose patience in this case is probably the best thing oh and the car has 53000 miles on it and is just like new otherwise so I really want to keep it

Jagey
06-29-2004, 10:21 AM
i would sell it as soon as it's fixed, let the next sucker deal with all the problems its going to have down the road

02andahalfgt
06-29-2004, 06:53 PM
i would sell it as soon as it's fixed, let the next sucker deal with all the problems its going to have down the road

I agree. No matter what they do to it now and no matter how much they test it, there will be problems in the future. And when there are it'll be money out of your pocket. Since you say you like your GA, take it to another dealership when you get it back and trade it in on a new GA and start all over. lol

Sleepwalkr
06-29-2004, 10:01 PM

Yeah, but if you do this..... please tell the guy the car was hit by lightning. Thats just totally F'd up when people sell their shyt to someone expecting a decent car and are not told about the crap that it entales.
Another thing, I don't think anyone actually knows if your car will be fine or not. Someone stated that they'd never heard of a car getting hit by lightning, but then everyone says since it did, its never gonna be totally fixed. Well, how do you know this unless its a common occurance and cars are never the same when this happens. I think its more guessing, like..... Well geez, I'd imagine since it was hit by lightning that your car couldn't possibly ever be fixed right again. Well, we don't really know. I personally think that with a "blast" like that, you'd have to replace every single electrical component in order to have it restored to normal.... but I don't actually know this...... your car may end up being fine, like it never happened.

Jagey
06-29-2004, 10:59 PM
Which is exactly why I don't buy used cars, since I personally would sell a car to unload my problems on someone else. I'm sure many others do the same.

sweet98gagt
06-30-2004, 01:40 AM
no, its just that ure a ****

XMBlackGT1
06-30-2004, 06:51 AM
Yeah, but if you do this..... please tell the guy the car was hit by lightning. Thats just totally F'd up when people sell their shyt to someone expecting a decent car and are not told about the crap that it entales.

I agree here 100%. If people dont tell you the previous history of the car, the car ends up in a lawsuit- like mine is in. Its a very long, annoying process.

ttreakle1
06-30-2004, 10:13 AM
well I thankyou all for your advice and have taken it in to seriuos concideration however I will probably keep the car as its still rattle free everything is tight including the windows dash ect and they have litterly replaced every module , sensor ect on that car so I mean I dont know what can go wrong and I hope I made the right decission...... well wish me luck please and thanks again

Jagey
06-30-2004, 10:35 AM
no, its just that ure a ****

Thank you. If people take the risk of buying used , then it is a gamble they were willing to take

Twisted_Reality
06-30-2004, 10:49 AM
I have heard of lightning striking a car matter of fact it was taped i remember seeing it on Real TV a few times. But i agree i would sell the car no telling what else is going to happen down the road cause of this better save yourself the trouble and get what you can and get a brand new GA to tinker around with :)

methos
06-30-2004, 10:41 PM
got any pics of the damage??

95-GT
07-01-2004, 04:00 AM
There is a brand new Denali that got hit by lightning near my house going for $12,000 because all the wiring had to be replaced.

Hexx
07-01-2004, 05:41 AM
Which is exactly why I don't buy used cars, since I personally would sell a car to unload my problems on someone else. I'm sure many others do the same.

That's why you buy old cars for cheap. You KNOW they have problems, but with all that extra cash you got you can throw it into new working parts and have a nice car for a lot less than a GA is worth heh.

ttreakle1
07-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Got my car back this afternoon and so far everything is good and man the bill sent to Stae Farm ins is 4,700.00 plus wow!! but anyways I got my ride back and hope like hell this never happens again!! oh and the old mirror they saved it forme and I got in the trunk as I want to keep it for a conversation piece I suspose but anyways thanks all very much

jscarano13
07-02-2004, 08:47 PM
i wanna see some pics.

Trancer
07-05-2004, 04:31 PM
i wanna see some pics.

:werd:

ttreakle1
07-07-2004, 05:54 PM
i posted a pic of my drivers side mirror oh and the total cost for the car came to 4717.19

ttreakle1
07-07-2004, 08:05 PM
I posted a pic of the mirror

ttreakle1
07-15-2004, 03:36 PM
well my car is back athe dealership getting a new radio put in again!! it turns out the new radio they orionaly replaced was my old radio that they said was brand new because the old unit couldnt be rpaaired .......lol well i new it was my old radio because all my old fm channels were still stored in there !! but anyways this time I am getting a new radio and also they have to diagnose a problem with the cruise comming off all by itself at highway speeds and a slight surge in speed 1 to 2 miles per hour and 300 rpm gain on the tach at steady speed briefly before settling back down and this will happen again about 3 or 4 miles down the road........

Panacea
07-15-2004, 04:09 PM
I'm not seeing the pic?

ttreakle1
07-16-2004, 12:42 AM
hummm the pic has been on this site for several days and now seems to be missin hummmm well ill put it up again