Why does my drivebelt slide half way off my crank pulley?????? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Why does my drivebelt slide half way off my crank pulley??????

trugt
06-29-2004, 08:24 AM
alright when i bought the car i noticed the belt was missing half the right side so i took it to my friend that works at the pontiac dealer over here and had him replace it. I was driving down the street and i heard the belt rip off so i pulled over and checked it and half the belt was ripped off. now i bought a belt put it on yesterday i made sure it was on right turned the car on and checked it did that three times and every time the belt would slide half way off the crank pulley. so i took the belt off and checked the pulley and i didnt see anything wrong with it. what do you guys think could be wrong with it. :nono: :rage: :banghead

Molson
06-29-2004, 08:28 AM
someing is seizing up by the sounds of it. Unless you have a bent shaft/pully (doubtful) check PS pump, water pump, AC Compressor for good bearing movement.

trugt
06-29-2004, 08:46 AM
how do i check that?

Molson
06-29-2004, 08:51 AM
for simplicity, while the belt is off,check how easily the pulleys spin, check tensioner too. If you spin it by hand and it stop right away, chances are the bearing is worn.

tammikm
06-29-2004, 09:00 AM
get a gatorback!! :)

sicc
06-29-2004, 09:01 AM
if the problem is a pulley he will just waste his $$ when it shreds that too.

trugt
06-29-2004, 10:12 AM
i did buy a gatorback it was only $25 that is alot cheaper then the last one i shreded($45).

trugt
06-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Oh yea i just thought of somthing when i replaced my waterpump i noticed the a/c pulley was making alot of noise but stoped after a couple of miles. when i looked at the a/c pulley while the car was running i noticed there was a plate on the outside of the pulley that was not spinning but rubbing it looked like it was supposed to spin with the pulley.

Molson
06-29-2004, 11:20 AM
the plate on the ouside is part of the AC compressor clutch, mine went, it was seizing, had to replace the hub. That would a good sign, and if it stiffens up, it could throw the belt.

trugt
06-29-2004, 11:28 AM
so i should replace that and try again?

Molson
06-29-2004, 11:32 AM
well, best to find the exact cause rather then throwing parts at it. Bring it to a mechanic if you are not too sure.